1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cold Cranking problems

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Rookie2, Jan 27, 2004.

1. Rookie2

Rookie2

I'm having a little problem getting her to turn over good on colder days (sub 30 degrees F,.. don't laugh) after setting a while. All the lights and stuff seems to come on fine getting in, and oddly enough the alarm chirp is about twice as loud as usual. Does this sound like a battery going bad, or possibly other things?

If so, what's a good quality battery recommendation?

Thanks for your input,
    Rookie2

2. Scamper

Scamper

Batteries are not rated to last much longer than what you've got out of it by now. That being said, my 97 battery is still going strong, and we just last week swapped out my son's original battery on the 94 Celica. Both Panasonics.

It could very well be your battery. You can take your truck/battery to many places to have it checked, but around my parts, they don't do this without charging you (and I'm cheap). If you can get it checked cheaply/quickly/easily, then do so. Otherwise, before I went replacing it, I'd do the following. Check:

1. That all cables/wires are firmly attached to the battery, with no corrosion. It wouldn't hurt to remove the battery terminals, clean, then reinstall, just to make sure.
    2. That both ground strap and positive cable to the starter are clean with no corrosion. Again, cleaning and reinstalling would not be too difficult if you saw any signs of corrosion.
    3. If #1 and #2 don't help, put a charger on it for a few hours, then try starting cold.

If #1 or #2 make it better, perhaps it was just some bad connections. If #3 makes it better, it could be your charging system; time to start checking that out (i.e., alternator not charging correctly). If none of those things work, then I'd look for a new battery.

Tom

3. Rookie2

Rookie2

Thanks Tom,

It's got an Interstate Megatron 60 in it. Is that what came original? I wouldn't have though this trucks would be on it's second battery.

Thanks,
    Rookie2

4. Scamper

Scamper

I think Toyota uses Panasonics as their OEM battery. The interstate is probably a replacment. Without knowing why the original went, hard to say it's the truck's fault. The interestate could go just becuase it's a few years old, or because some other reason (including lack of owner maintainence).

But most battery places tell you that a battery is only good for 3-4 years. Just my experience that they last a lot longer unless you're really hard on them (like living in Fargo?) or don't maintain them. Also, if the battery says "maintainence free", don't believe it unless there's absolutely no way you can open up the cells.

Tom

5. Rookie2

Rookie2

Roger that on the lack of PO maintenance. I've added about a 1 1/2 to 2 quarts of distilled.

Any suggestions on a replacement?

Thanks,
    Rookie2

6. Beowulf

Beowulf

Rookie2,
    There's another thread going on Oydessey vs Optima. Those are two of the top brands and batteries are kinda like tyres so people have opinions on both sides.

Your truck originally came with a Panasonic from Japan. You cannot buy a new Panasonic.

If you have no specific requirements (i.e. DD, no camping, no winching, etc.) then you can go to Sears and get a good Die Hard or something like that from Costco, Sams, Walmart, etc.

If you do have specific requirements then let us know.

-B-