Cold Air Intake for '94 - '97???? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just purchased a '95 with 49000 miles on it and I love it.... however, I want to do a few things to it. I'm suprised to see that after a ton of searching on the web, I can't find any manufacturers that make an intake system for the 4.5L I6 Crusiers. Does anyone have any information (and pics) to share?

zmacman said:
I just purchased a '95 with 49000 miles on it and I love it.... however, I want to do a few things to it. I'm suprised to see that after a ton of searching on the web, I can't find any manufacturers that make an intake system for the 4.5L I6 Crusiers. Does anyone have any information (and pics) to share?

K&N Used to make their "Air Intake Kit" (a system, not just a filter) for it, i believe it was called a "FIPK" or something like that. However, i only see listings for the 98 and newer V8 models now. Same thing with the Borla Exhaust!

I agree with Brian, If you wheel it and cross water you may find your engine with water in it. As for the dust control on dirt roads, these filters tend to let lots of dust through into the engine. But if it is a road machine, and you only jump the curbs at the mall then these cold air kits could work well for the precieved sound effect to simulate more power. later robbie

Snorkel?

Snorkel seems to be the only cold air induction system for your land cruiser. I say install the snorkel and go from there.

A snorkel will not provide greater power IMHO. You're adding many feet of intake tubing which adds air resistance. Also your truck already pulls in cold air from outside the engine bay - the intake pulls air from the right inner fender. Meaningful power increases will only come from a forced induction mod like turbo or supercharger, but if you wanted more power you shouldn't have bought a 5300lb SUV with a 6 cylinder....

Welcome, and the truck sounds nice - astonishingly low miles!!

DougM

zmacman said:

why would you want a cold air intake for? did you have one on your Honda Civic?

Last edited:
A '95 with exactly 49,000 miles on it? I think we covered this subject recently - 10 years of use averaging less than 5,000 miles a year is less that 1/3 normal vehicle usage. See if you can get a hold of the service record.

Intercooler!

acolella said:
why would you want a cold air intake for? did you have one on your Honda Civic?
:rolleyes:

Was he asking an unreasonable question? I can't think of any 80 owner that wouldn't like a little more power out of their trucks and not everyone wants a gawdy snorkel, especially if he isn't planning on deep water crossings.

IdahoDoug said:
A snorkel will not provide greater power IMHO. You're adding many feet of intake tubing which adds air resistance. Also your truck already pulls in cold air from outside the engine bay - the intake pulls air from the right inner fender. Meaningful power increases will only come from a forced induction mod like turbo or supercharger, but if you wanted more power you shouldn't have bought a 5300lb SUV with a 6 cylinder....

Welcome, and the truck sounds nice - astonishingly low miles!!

DougM

Doug,

I must disagree with you in part. The air drawn in from the inner fender is just as hot as what is under the hood. The aprons have big holes in them and air passes freely between the inner fenders and the engine bay. I have measured temps in both locations. I can also tell you that the snorkel moves more air and, at least in my case, the throttle response is noticably "crisper" with the snorkel.

parabola said:
:rolleyes:

Was he asking an unreasonable question? I can't think of any 80 owner that wouldn't like a little more power out of their trucks and not everyone wants a gawdy snorkel, especially if he isn't planning on deep water crossings.

I repeat, intercooler!!!

want more power without forced induction?
well what about the unichip? this chip seems to be taking off here in the states. i know there are many places here in the states that can program them-there is even one in denver acording to the unichip web site. I recently read a great unichip review--go to www.overlander.com.au and search unichip. has anyone used this chip on a normally aspirated 1fzfe?

Dusty said:
want more power without forced induction?
well what about the unichip? this chip seems to be taking off here in the states. i know there are many places here in the states that can program them-there is even one in denver acording to the unichip web site. I recently read a great unichip review--go to www.overlander.com.au and search unichip. has anyone used this chip on a normally aspirated 1fzfe?

The main drawback I see with the Unichip is you have to have the installer pogram the unit. I have a Perfect Power SMT 6 on the bench waiting to go into the Cruizer. I also have a Split Second FTC controlling the bigger injectors and timing on my Tacoma. Both allow you to make changes to the timing and fuel maps. The SMT 6 will allow you to do it realtime. Both are a lot cheaper than the Uni and are more flexable

My $.02 :cheers:

Dusty said:
these "perfect power " piggybacks appear to be the ticket. So can you simply plug wires into the ecu terminals or do you need to splice into the wires? i ethere is even a wireing diagram for the 1fzfe. the web sight doesn't offer pricing. how much for a smt 6? how easy to tune?

It's strictly a splice in deal to the main harness. I made a harness in the Tacoma to be able to swap between the two units plus a jumper plug just in case. Some connections are an intercept of the signal to/from the ecu and some are a tap off of the wire to/from the ecu. There is a wiring diagram in the ESM that you can download off a Toyota site but I can't find the URL at the moment (someone?). CDan will get you set up with one as well. They have the SMT 7 out now and I don't know what they are going for. Hit up a few of the vendors and ask how much. As far as tuning goes, once you have the global settings set up it is easy ttune provided you have the right tuning tools.
HTH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom