Coil wiring 1973 fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How should the coil be wired on a 1973 fj40?
The previous owner cut a lot of wires and didn’t reconnect them. Any help be useful
C8D36458-BC93-4FED-87AE-9C114C1D83B5.jpeg

FC5B00E8-55C6-4F32-97AC-6FB13826B8A8.jpeg

645EF570-AACA-4800-9957-E3DE8D621BCE.jpeg

Welcome to Mud.

Let's see if I got it correct:

Positive on battery to fusible link, to ignition switch, ignition switch to external ballast resistor, to positive terminal on coil. Negative terminal on coil to distributor (points ground), also, negative terminal on coil to capacitor (on chassis of distributor) to ground.

So, one of the things that I see is a possible redundancy of the capacitor. Also, the capacitor and resistor are wired incorrectly? There was an internal one in my stock distributor at the breaker plate, if I remember correctly. If the capacitor is on the fenderwell, then it needs better grounding.

On my truck, I ran a dedicated ground strap from the fender to the firewall, and the firewall to the bellhousing. I also did a ground from the turn signal to the fenderwell, and one going from the firewall to the chassis of all the lights in the back. My intention was to improve durability for the traffic illumination, and to ensure that the horn relay (pictured in your photo), would actually work when needed. I got these images from a thread on a diesel 40-series. Basically, rust has left most Cruisers in desperate need of reliable earthing connections.

Earth Connection1.jpg

Earth Connection.jpg

To get more than spark, you will need a jumper wire to the carb solenoid, and something to trigger the starter solenoid, but otherwise that wiring harness needs analysis to determine damage. Don't worry, I once bought a '73 FJ40 with nothing other than an ignition switch on a diamond plate covered dash, it had brake lights, but nothing beyond the starter, brakes, and ignition was wired until I started working on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom