Coil springs height difference (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
On a YouTube video, demonstrating changing from AHC to standard suspension, the guy said not to forget that the rear coil springs are not the same height. One is shorter than the other, for some reason.
On the conversion kit that I got, I noticed that the coil spring part numbers are the same.
Have Googled but am getting varying opinions.
Does anyone have any experience of this?
Cheers!

Old Man Emu springs have one taller than the other--same part number, but they'll have stickers on them labeling them "A" and "B". The taller one typically goes on the driver's side of the vehicle.

I had the same question a month ago, if you have 2865 coils they are the same size.

Old Man Emu springs have one taller than the other--same part number, but they'll have stickers on them labeling them "A" and "B". The taller one typically goes on the driver's side of the vehicle.

It's often not that clear cut.

For example: OME 860 springs have a "right" and a "left", while OME 865 springs are the same height.

If the springs are not the same height, the taller spring goes on the (US) driver's side.

If the springs are the same height, you may want to have some "trim packers" to balance right to left.

1579794998696.png

Pay attention to the Free Heigh, and cells that have a LEFT/RIGHT value. For example, the 2865 as mentioned above that have the same height, show a single value, meaning both springs are the same height.

Thanks, guys.
Yeah, the video guy says that the left ( US driver’s side ) spring is slightly taller, to compensate for the fuel tank being on that side. Am totally confused, now! My mechanic has the kit so, I must pay him a visit and compare the two springs against each other. if I find there is no difference, is that a major problem?
Cheers! Forgot to say, the conversion kit that I got, is a Pedders kit

Thanks, guys.
Yeah, the video guy says that the left ( US driver’s side ) spring is slightly taller, to compensate for the fuel tank being on that side. Am totally confused, now! My mechanic has the kit so, I must pay him a visit and compare the two springs against each other. if I find there is no difference, is that a major problem?
Cheers! Forgot to say, the conversion kit that I got, is a Pedders kit

You may just need to adjust the torsion bar to compensate.

View attachment 2190348

Pay attention to the Free Heigh, and cells that have a LEFT/RIGHT value. For example, the 2865 as mentioned above that have the same height, show a single value, meaning both springs are the same height.
Hi, so in layman’s terms ( that’s what I AM! ), why are there three different ones for the 100 series ( 2864, 65, 66 ) and although my kit isn’t OME, should I be hoping that mine are the same height ( as in 2865 and 2866 )?

Hi, so in layman’s terms ( that’s what I AM! ), why are there three different ones for the 100 series ( 2864, 65, 66 ) and although my kit isn’t OME, should I be hoping that mine are the same height ( as in 2865 and 2866 )?

In the instances of spring height being the same; the next factor is spring rate. In short, this becomes important when you begin adding weight to the rear of the vehicle. For example, the 863 springs are listed in kits as a heavy spring.. the spring rate is higher than the 860, even though they are the same height. The difference is 30lbf/in, meaning it will require an additional 30lbs to sag it the same amount as the 860 spring.

In the instances of spring height being the same; the next factor is spring rate. In short, this becomes important when you begin adding weight to the rear of the vehicle. For example, the 863 springs are listed in kits as a heavy spring.. the spring rate is higher than the 860, even though they are the same height. The difference is 30lbf/in, meaning it will require an additional 30lbs to sag it the same amount as the 860 spring.

My 2866 springs were the same height.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom