Coil spring POP (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,
I have been dealing with a popping noise in my suspension since September when I was elk hunting. It happens randomly like if it's under a torque. Sometimes turning, sometimes braking, sometimes accelerating and sometimes flexing. I was in some nasty terrain when I first heard it. I had it up on a lift, checked all the bushings up front with a bar and everything looked nice and tight. Changed out motor mounts with Oem from prior problems. Had my mechanic look at it yesterday and he couldn't find anything.

So last night I just asked my Dad to look under my vehicle while I moved back and forth over a large snow mound. AND AHA it looks to be the passengers front coil spring making the noise. It's an OME 2.5inch lift why in the world is this thing popping? Do the fj80s have coil spring bearings up top ? Or is the isolator possibly buggered? Hopefully one of you smart fellows will be able to add some wisdom

Okay so I took some pictures of my coils, let me know if anyone sees anything wrong. I personally don't see anything...

20230210_103404.jpg

20230210_103419.jpg

20230210_103428.jpg

20230210_103441.jpg

20230210_103507.jpg

I have the same problem with my Slinky springs. @Broski mentioned it’s an issue with some springs and he has a fix. Hopefully he’ll chime in and school us.

Look at the spring on the inside right at frame height. It's most likely rubbing there.
My guess is you have a stock panhard bar and the the lift is pulling the axle to the the drivers side and causing the spring to rub on the bottom of the spring bucket.

In @Road Apple case the Delta control arms move the axle forward putting the springs off center off of the spring buckets and are most likely rubbing in the same spot.
In the last picture in post three you can see the horizontal piece of metal sticking out from the bottom of the frame it has a semicircle cut into it to allow clearance for the spring.
I cut that piece back flush to the frame and it solve the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom