COIL READINGS RESISTANCE CHECK (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

love2fly

Flying the Mountains of the NW
Threads
I just recently been trying to chase down why my spark plugs had fouled on a separate post.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/two-questions-if-i-may-2f-engine.820934/
I went to check my coil to confirm that all was working well.
When checking (W/O resistor) full electronic ignition system from a 1980 2F.

Primary coil resistance I got a reading of 0.15 ohms compared to the book 2.6-4.0 ohms
Secondary read 12.90 ohms compared to 6.0-9.0 ohms

The Toyota factory book says REFERENCE ONLY. My other book says the same.
Is there a more positive number to use for this test or am I to believe this coil is in question.

Thanks

coil check.JPG

coil 1.jpg

coil 2.jpg

PA139714.jpg

10-14-20121-60 s.jpg

A bad coil will cause the engine to fail to run. It won't cause fouled plugs. Bad coils are extremely rare. I have only seen one that failed and it had obviously spewed its oil out.

Do a compression check. That will provide useful insight into the cause of plug fouling.

Oh crap - I was reading the W/O resistor, you're right it has an internal resistor. I forgot that it is internal even being full electronic. I added a couple more photos of the unit.
Thanks for setting me back on course.
From other post-
Compression test completed - from front to rear
145 - 144 - 144 - 145 - 144 - 145 PSI
Engine not hot just warm

Compression is fine. There must be some other reason for fouled plugs. Start with a hotter plug.

Compression looks good. Coil looks good. No complaints about how it runs. One plug looks like it's fouling more than others.

It's an old truck. Change the plugs (a hotter plug wouldn't hurt) and go have a beer.

Valve seals will not affect your compression and bad ones will foul your plugs. If everything else is good I would replace your valve seals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom