Coil Pack Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've apparently got a failed coil pack. Just wondering what it takes to replace it yourself. I do most of my own work, so it shouldn't be a problem. I just appreciate the help this forum gives for the weekend mechanic like me. I don't have the FSM; been wanting to buy the downloads, but that got changed.

Also, I'm stuck about 100 miles from home; wondering if it would be bad to drive it on the freeway home. I'm guessing the mileage would suck, but I don't want to do any damage to the cat or anything else.

Thanks,

Raj
2000 UZJ100, 120K

Good luck on the repair. I downloaded my TSM for free. It's about 55.2 MB so if your email can handle that, give it to me and I'll send it to you.

Good luck on the drive home.

Greg

Raj,

To replace the coil pack is really easy. Just need a 10mm socket. It literally plug and play :D

Do you know which coil is bad? They are around $100 each from the dealer, I am sure you can find it cheaper (that price is from the dealer here N. California).

I don't think it will damage anything if you drove it. It will run rough though.

If it was my truck I wouldn't drive it 100 miles. I would try to fix it before, but that is just my opinion. Good luck and hope you get it all sorted out.

You run the risk of melting your catalytic converter. If you know which cylinder have bad coil you might need to disconnect the injector to that cylinder also. Never try it to run this way but heard a lot of people have to replace the cat after failed ignition system.

The coil pack itself are very easy to replace.

Thanks for the info. I'm not going to drive it until it's fixed. I'll do the check at a local auto parts place.

I had this too

Two weeks ago, I started getting a misfire. Mine is a 2000 with 134K on it.

I made the mistake of driving it to work and back with the misfire still on. I probably drove it for about three hundred miles with the misfire on. (I first thought that I had a bad batch of gas). None of the trips were longer than 20 miles at a time, so hopefully I did not do any damage.

So a few days ago, I got a code reader (for free) from Checker, found out the cylinder that was misfiring, changed the coilpack with a new one and now the misfire is gone and the LC is running smooth again. The whole process was a lot more haphazard than I am making it sound, but it did work.

I should mention that I was fixing the cheapest things first. I did not change anything at first thinking that it could just be old or bad gas. The misfire had started about a minute after filling up my gas tank at a neighborhood gas station that I later found had a reputation for selling low quality gas. Once that was eliminated by putting in 92 octane from bp (once the old tank was completely empty), I bought a new fuel cap for $28 from a stealer. Once that did not fix it, I went and bought a coil pack from another stealer for $110.

The stealer was telling me that the fees they charge for reading codes started from $110, which I was able to do for free. The guys at Checker even let me take it home for about two hours.

It is good to have the car running smooth again. I am very grateful to Checker for "borrowing" me their code scanner.

What an experience it is to work on your own vehicle!!!!

I got a Code reader from Mac Tools guy (like Snap On) years ago because I got tired of the dealer charging me an hour each he reads the code. I've used the code reader and other folks on trips countless times. It pays for itself pretty quickly.:cool:

You can buy them everywhere now, anywhere from $20 and up. Snap On has one for like $4k - comes with a Panasonic Toughbook laptop. :grinpimp: Same one the dealer uses. Some of the difference is some code reader - you have to look up the code, some gives you the number code and the meaning.

I have the older version of this - MacTools : ET105 - Mac ProCode™ Global OBD II Code Reader

I also have this one but it doesn't give you the meaning of the codes but you can downloard it for free somewhere - ScanGaugeII - Trip Computers + Digital Gauges + Scan Tool a few folks on this list has this as well.

Yep, the SGII will read and reset codes. You'll just need to Google the code to figure out what it means. Most of the inexpensive code readers you get at Autozone, Napa, etc. don't tell you what the code means. I have a cheapy in the glove box of my 3 and it paid for itself instantly. And like the bimmers, I don't think you're going to have trouble pulling code details off the interwebs.

MacTools makes nice stuff :)

I'm in Bellingham, if you ever need any help I'm more than willing!

Just getting ready to head to the Sand Dunes for the long weekend and had the coil pack on cylinder #4 croak! The truck has been running perfectly. I ran to get gas and it was sputtering like a bitch and had no power. I jammed to Autozone and had them pull the code - P0304. 4 auto parts stores later I had the part in hand! Fortunately it a quick 20 minute job. Being a dumb ass and in a hurry I burned the heck out of arm because I didn't let the engine cool down.

I've apparently got a failed coil pack. Just wondering what it takes to replace it yourself. I do most of my own work, so it shouldn't be a problem. I just appreciate the help this forum gives for the weekend mechanic like me. I don't have the FSM; been wanting to buy the downloads, but that got changed.

Also, I'm stuck about 100 miles from home; wondering if it would be bad to drive it on the freeway home. I'm guessing the mileage would suck, but I don't want to do any damage to the cat or anything else.

Thanks,

Raj
2000 UZJ100, 120K

This is bizarre. I logged into this forum to find out about coil pack. My wife had to take the truck into the shop nearby her work because she couldnt drive it home. (30 miles away) I just got a call from the shop and they say its failed coil pack.

1999 with 80k miles.

Is this normal? About two weeks ago I had to replace 5th cylinder coil pack. Went on a vacation at friends place 1300 miles away. The whole trip to my friends place ran very nice.

This morning, we went in for latte. After my latte, the same symptoms happened again. Took it to dealership and they say 8th cylinder coil ignition has gone out.

They have to order it and will arrive tomorrow. I got to wonder will I be expecting failed igniton coil on the other 6?

I can do this quick myself when I get back home but I'm not sure if it is necessary?

I got to wonder will I be expecting failed igniton coil on the other 6?

Yes, eventually they will all fail.... But it might take another 15 or more years to occur ;)

I wouldnt worry too much about a (coil failure) happening very often though... One ? yes. Two ? ok..possible . Three ? Not very likely.

At least it is fairly easy to diagnose/replace them !

Thank you.

I'm letting them do the work. I want to enjoy my vacation at this point. Anyway, before I take the truck out. Can you tell me where will the 8th cylinder be?

I dont have my FSM handy with me.

Yes, eventually they will all fail.... But it might take another 15 or more years to occur ;)

I wouldnt worry too much about a (coil failure) happening very often though... One ? yes. Two ? ok..possible . Three ? Not very likely.

At least it is fairly easy to diagnose/replace them !

RH rear of the engine. RH & LH is defined when sitting in the driver's seat.

LH Bank is Bank 1 with cylinders 1-3-5-7
RH Bank is Bank 2 with cylinders 2-4-6-8

I'm down three coil packs so far and it looks like I'm down another. 190k at first, 230k 2nd time. Not going to risk non-OEM coil packs, but in my case, it was very obvious that it was a coil pack.

1. Rough idle
2. Check Engine Light
3. P0300 code.

In this case, I got a P0304 code.

I didn't track it very well and my gas gauge is erratic, but I do agree that a decrease in MPG might precede a coil pack failure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom