Coil pack melted (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

2005 with 225k miles. Have recently had ignition coil CEL pop up for cylinder 1 and 8. Got parts from Toyota and went to pull the back passenger coil. Only half of it came out. Can't get spark plug socket on because the melted half is still stuck down the hole. Any ideas of how to get it out?

PXL_20220726_024434797.jpg

Long needlenose pliers. I didn’t have a coil melt but I did have the bottom break off. Pulled it out with long needlenose.

Long needle nose and patience. It's likely quite brittle in there and you probably get it off in pieces. You'll also probably want a little shop-vac action before you go to pull out the spark plug. The engine can burn off dust but any chunks, you'll want out of there.

In the not unlikely event that the plastic is melted to the walls of the tube, you'll have some scraping or honing to do too.

Thanks for the suggestions. Back from work and back at it.

The cylinder is the rear passenger side, so very little room to work. I can't even see into the tube very well.

If I take off the valve cover, will I be able to remove the plug tube and get closer to the base of the plug?

I think (hope) the following happened: CEL popped with misfire (coil) code, vehicle was sputtering at idle and cruise speed. I accelerated hard several times to see if it sputtered under load. I also limped it to and from work one day (70 miles). Would this have caused the coil to melt up?

Removing the valve cover will not give extra access. The tube is fused to the cylinder head. Just curious, what's the brand of the coil pack?

Pliers and patience will be the way to win the game.

The spark plug tube is fitted into the cylinder head so unfortunately removing the valve cover will not give you better access. That spark plug is one of the more difficult ones. You might try to suck it out with a vacuum first to see if that can pull it out. If not, patience is the key.

Took it to a mechanic who was able to get the plug out. He said the plug was loose in the hole.
Now trying to figure out how to rethread the hole without taking the head off.

IMG_20220802_071853.jpg

Hello,

2005 with 225k miles. Have recently had ignition coil CEL pop up for cylinder 1 and 8. Got parts from Toyota and went to pull the back passenger coil. Only half of it came out. Can't get spark plug socket on because the melted half is still stuck down the hole. Any ideas of how to get it out?

View attachment 3069274
i have the same issue on cyl 5 two coil packs cooked in two days, my spark plug tube is in the way of getting the rethreading tool in there to do the scary part, since it is on the drivers side i have a bit more room than you did. i can get the head off and rethread it but the piston is in the highest position possible it seems. iso a smaller socket size or a thinner wall to prevent taking the plug tube out along with the cover off the valves. in the morning will probably order the valve cover gasket or buy a tool for removing that tube or a thinner wall socket or a d[fferent tap tool that'll fit. 470-658-3694 give me a shout if you have any tips

helicoil will fix it.

Lots of F150s had same issues with I think the 4.6L.

It happened to me 10 years ago and now 150k miles more on it and plug change again and no issues

I ended up taking mind to a shop. Because the damage was on rear passenger cylinder (8 I believe), they couldn't get thread repair done with head on. They pulled head, sent to be repaired, and put it back together.
Unfortunately, I had also cooked the catalytic converter. The shop pulled both off and found they were clogged badly. I was out of funds at this point, so had them cut open the cats, clean them out, and weld them shut. They put it back together and I now have an exhaust leak and the codes still on, but it runs. Will have exhaust manifold and cats done this summer.

helicoil will fix it.

Lots of F150s had same issues with I think the 4.6L.

It happened to me 10 years ago and now 150k miles more on it and plug change again and no issues
i had the helicoil in after some tapping and rethreading, installed the new plug and new coil pack and had the same code. Unhooked the coil and the injector and limped it home. now I have a misfire on every cylinder on that side of the engine. I kept the obd 2 hooked the entire way and only got 1320 and 305 the entire way. no new codes after clearing it every few minutes. after starting the engine back up I am throwing a code on every cyl on that side. I will fire it back up in the morning and try again. Taking it to a shop tomorrow to see if there's something I can do. hoping I dont have to get that side of the motor machined. I have a feeling that its an injecton issue or electrical issue. I have 340k on it and if it dies I will give it a transplant and keep on trucking... best vehiecle I have ever owned.

The spark plug back out issue is real and too many of us are learning the hard and expensive way. I've owned and maintained Toyotas for 40 years and it bit me in the ass last week on one of our LCs. I thought it was going to be a quick coil change, to fix a misfire code, but nope it was a blown out spark plug. Luckily it happened near the house. Now I'm waiting to see if my 'on the vehicle' Time-sert thread repair lasts the test of time. If you haven't read through the thread Spark plugs Alert Alert Alert! - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/spark-plugs-alert-alert-alert.1045750/ and taken proactive measures, you may be setting yourself up for a some unnecessary pain and expense down the road. Get those torque wrenches out and get after it, it really doesn't take that long to do.

The spark plug back out issue is real and too many of us are learning the hard and expensive way. I've owned and maintained Toyotas for 40 years and it bit me in the ass last week on one of our LCs. I thought it was going to be a quick coil change, to fix a misfire code, but nope it was a blown out spark plug. Luckily it happened near the house. Now I'm waiting to see if my 'on the vehicle' Time-sert thread repair lasts the test of time. If you haven't read through the thread Spark plugs Alert Alert Alert! - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/spark-plugs-alert-alert-alert.1045750/ and taken proactive measures, you may be setting yourself up for a some unnecessary pain and expense down the road. Get those torque wrenches out and get after it, it really doesn't take that long to do.
I read that thread while camping out next to my downed rig on the side of hwy 441 over the weekend. That side of the motor is torqued to spec now. The More crowded passenger side is yet to be addressed. This weekend I am set to show the old girl some love and pay attention to the other side after I install some new seat heater switches and new ahc switch. Thanks for being my tribe while I spiraled! my tick tick tick on cold start is gone now too. I need to spend more time reading on here if I insist on having a 25 yo 340k daily driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom