Coil overheating and draining battery (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,
I have a problem with my 79 FJ40, the coil is getting very hot even with the ignition off, the battery drains really quickly as well. It does start and is running pretty rough.
The coil appears to be a Bosch 0221119030 type and the ballast resistor looks to be bypassed as you can see in the pictures.
Should I order an oem replacement coil and put the ballast resistor back inline?
Thanks Ed

20200707_121152.jpg

20200707_120629.jpg

20200707_121214.jpg

20200707_121158.jpg

Is this a US spec truck? Reason I ask is I do not see an igniter for the coil...

Before replacing anything you need to determine why the coil is getting power with the key off... There should be a Black/Yellow wire going to one side of the ballast resistor that goes directly back to the key switch. Your key switch could be bad allowing power to go to the BY wire even though the key switch is turned off...

Looks like he lives in England. Steering wheel is probably on the wrong side. But then he might be lucky enough to have a US spec import.

Is this a US spec truck? Reason I ask is I do not see an igniter for the coil...

Before replacing anything you need to determine why the coil is getting power with the key off... There should be a Black/Yellow wire going to one side of the ballast resistor that goes directly back to the key switch. Your key switch could be bad allowing power to go to the BY wire even though the key switch is turned off...
Hi, it was imported from Indonesia so a RHD model

I will take a look for the missing wire tomorrow, it was fine for a month after importing with no battery drain so maybe I knocked a wire off

The wire is not missing, I can see it on your pics. It's the "gray" wire on the ballast resistor under the red wire going to the coil B+.
Being from Indonesia, it may have different wire colors.
If you have a volt meter set it to DC 20 volt scale: Red lead on the ballast resistor where the two wires are connected and black on the negative battery post.
With key OFF there should be no voltage there. With Key on you should have battery voltage. If you have voltage with key off then either the key switch is bad or that wire is not going to the right place on the other end.

The wire is not missing, I can see it on your pics. It's the "gray" wire on the ballast resistor under the red wire going to the coil B+.
Being from Indonesia, it may have different wire colors.
If you have a volt meter set it to DC 20 volt scale: Red lead on the ballast resistor where the two wires are connected and black on the negative battery post.
With key OFF there should be no voltage there. With Key on you should have battery voltage. If you have voltage with key off then either the key switch is bad or that wire is not going to the right place on the other end.
Thanks Coolerman, I will check this tomorrow morning

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom