Coil OEM or MSD (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
FJ-62... I am going to replace my coil, I know most people are fond of OEM products, but I have heard the MSD coil is good. Is there a certain one I can buy? So has anyone here used another coil besides OEM and what luck did you have? What voltage rating should I go with? If you can post a link if possible.. Thanks in advance..

Bruce

I upgraded to a Jacobs coil and Jacobs wires in my 60 and have been very happy with the results. I also know a lot of guys like OEM, but I think it was one of my best mods.

This is the one I have: http://www.jacobselectronics.com/Pr...jID=525&minID=5283&selection=0&minselection=4

But if I had to do it over, I would put in this new coil that wasn't available when I did the mod: http://www.jacobselectronics.com/Pr...jID=525&minID=5283&selection=0&minselection=4

Figured I would share, but short answer is yes, I think upgrading the ignition is a good mod.

Can you feel the difference or is it an efficiency thing? It seems like that would be the type of thing that one would only touch if it broke, or am I wrong?

:beer:

GLTHFJ60 said:
Can you feel the difference or is it an efficiency thing? It seems like that would be the type of thing that one would only touch if it broke, or am I wrong?

It was definitely seat of the pants difference. Accelerated better and I had a bit more reserve power on the highway (and I mean a bit, we are talking about a 2F here). It was a little bit more efficient too, about .5 - 1 mpg at first, but I pretty much killed that by pushing the truck a little harder now because I can. I'll bet a lot of it is attributed to the wires being replaced with heavier duty ones at the same time as well.

I swapped it out just because I got the itch to do it. I still have my stock one though, in case I ever sell it.

I second all above; it does help the 2F to have a capacitive discharge &/or Jacobs coil and wires in the system. I have both on my '79FJ40 and can switch between them at will...

Sweet...I just bought an 85 and plan on doing that kind of a simple upgrade, I'm glad it sounds like the thing to do!

I've heard that upgrading the ignition system can have good impacts on the 2F's performance. I researched the HEI ignition upgrade, but people said that the difference wasn't that great. I'll just up the coil then, and get some better wires. Mine are factory stock, I'm not sure what the life on them is.

I haven't tried MSD on my cruiser but I had a built 350 in a Nova a few years back. When I went from a basic HEI to MSD the difference was fairly dramatic. Started much easier, more power, idled better. Much different engine but I'd imagine some of the effects would be similar.

I can also give a good recommendation for the Jacobs coil and wires. I have an older setup on an F motor. I don't remember if there was a huge improvement but it does run under water so I was happy.

Running under water is definately an upgrade from the original setup. For now, just getting it on the road is good enough. Definately good info from my point of view.

cool, thanks for the 411, what do the Jacobs coil and wires cost?

U could try this:

To find a store in your area, just dial 1-888-MR-GASKET ext 999 and you will be given the phone number of the nearest store stocking Mr. Gasket Performance Group products

Plan on spending $400 or more for this stuff. Since Jacobs is now owned by Mr. Gasket, finding this stuff has become a PITA and cost is another factor.

Wow, really? That much now? I think I paid about $200 for the ultra coil and wires. I got pre-cut wires from MAF (I think), but looking on their website, they don't carry them anymore. I might have gotten the coil from Summit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom