Coil melt down...what would cause this? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CenTXFJ60

SILVER Star
Threads
799F0A62-40B9-461F-AA8D-86D1379CF767.jpeg
im out of town, my 17 year old calls at 6:00 AM...Dad, my cruiser died. Me...what’s the gas gauge say? Him...on “E”, but I’ve driven it at this point before. Ok...check the site glass. Yep it has fuel. Then my wife tries to start it. No luck and they move on with their day. I get home at midnight last night. Go out to the street with a light and see the fuel filter is dry. Then I see the coil like this. Could they have caused this by continuing to hammer on the starter?

Arching. Bad Coil lead -- if wire is corroded or broken, leads to very high resistance. Should be around .3 Ohms, IIRC

You can measure the ohms of that wire to rule out.

But you're gonna need to replace coil and plug wire set anyway.

LOL! :)

Its from the coil holding cage grounds. It gets hot/cold, and the bolts that make the ground oxidise. You need to clean up the hold down bolts, and also run a wire from the ignitor case, (the finned aluminum case above coil) to a solid ground. Prob need to check the rotor inside the distrib, and the main wire off the Alternator too. The 3 wire plugs off the battery, the fusible links, may have cooked thru also.

this is all pretty straightforward, and will give you brighter headlights when your done, and fewer weird dash lights...

well there's your problem!.....it's still a gasser :rofl:
Good point there Roma. I offered to put a 12HT into Add's 60 but he prefers the 2F over the diesel. It's definitely a different ride, but he's killing me on the gas mileage :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom