coil & igniter **REAL TIME** (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.myspace.com
just got an 87 excab drove it home and washed the dirt off went to my neighbor's home and it died in his driveway now it cranks & cranks but it will not fire up and run fuel pump is running strong and im geting power at the coil but pulled a plug and no arching . shouldn't it arch? as i turn the motor over?

ok, tried that & nothing, there is no spark at the plugs pulled plug boot off held next to screwdriver and no spark. sanded the rotor botton back to shiny copper for good contact but nothing:bang:

jumped it off with my 89 ,did not wash the engine bay at all no water in the dist.cap . could it be the igniter and what does it do?????:hmm:

it is a coil and resistor pack, if you got it running by jumping it that is not it.
check your battery voltage off and running.
should be 12 and around 14.5 running.

check alternator conections. One large charging wire and a 3 wire plug on the back of it.

was the battery dead?

got the truck yesterday, jumped it off yesterday because the batt. was dead. to get it home, got home left it running while I washed the out side of the truck, drove 400 yards down the srteet to my friends house the truck died as I pulled in to his driveway jumped it off agian and it spit & sputterd as if the cap had water in it but no water under hood! so could the dist. have gone completely out? pulled the coil from my 89 and tried it ,no luck, no spark at the plugs no spark at the dist.cap pulled wire from center of dist.cap and turnd the engine over no spark, did the same on my 89 and zap the s**T out of my fingers. so could the dist. have gone bad? and if so does MSD make a replacment?

pulled wire from center of dist.cap and turnd the engine over no spark, did the same on my 89 and zap the s**T out of my fingers. so could the dist. have gone bad? and if so does MSD make a replacment?

Are you saying that you removed the coil wire from the dizzy and checked for spark while the wire was on the coil, and there was nothing? If so, it's not the dizzy.

If you are not having spark at plugs, you more than likely have a bad Igniter........... Happened t my truck a couple years back.............

I didn't buy a replacement Ignitier, bought a MSD 6A or 6AL
Has and internal ignitier...... CHeaper than an Igniter as well.... OEM Igniter was qouted at aabout 350 bucks msd ran 200

Good Luck!!!

fooled around with this thing last night for a while. getting power to the coil..... but both sides are geting power,one side has two wires,the other has one. shouldn't one be grounded.

figuerd it out! replaced the ignition pickup in the dist. and wal'la presto it fired right up thanks for the help guys!:cheers:

oh yah Toyota wanted $186 for this part found one at the local sal.yard, dizzy and all for $50 bucks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom