Coil assistance requested. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need someone smarter than me to help me with coil selection.

Where I am

Stock weight(ish) 97
Currently running TJM 50mm progressive 110kg + rear coils and stock weight progressive 50 mm fronts.

Want
2 inches settled rear lift with load, 2.5 without
2 inches settled front lift
Decent unladen ride
ideally something that allows for flex without the springs popping out (ICON VS2.0 long shocks)

Need
No higher than 2.5 unladen anywhere (Or I can't drive into my garage)

Im looking at Dobinson coils to try something new and I hear they are very good.

Here is what I have so far
coilfitmentest. lifttypeFreeheightrateFor added weight
C59-223VRear2.25Progressive445-455progressive
C59-169Rear2Linear465-475227110-220
c59-234Front1.75Linear500-510179
C59-222vFront2Progressive515-525progressive110-220
C59-220VFront1.5Progressive495-505progressive0-110

The guy at dobinson said the 220v front would only net me 1.5 inches with my weight, but the 222v is for bumpers and added front weight so it might be too stiff/too tall. The 234 is "comfort" linear but again may be too short.

I've heard Dobinsons lift MORE than advertised, but he said they should net slightly less.

I like my front coils which are
Free Height 515-525mm progressive medium duty load (no rate given, but 16.5 wire diameter.

I know the 220V are in stock, I think the 222v are in stock, but I don't think I can get the 234 in the time frame I need.

I realize there are 100 different variables, but I wanted to check to see who was running dobinson coils and what your real life experiences are with them. Also if anyone has any insights into this dilemma based on their experiences.

Just a suggestion, given the specific height you're after, between DIY and a shop install, recommend taking to a reputable shop.
Take it in at full load out, including fuel and tell them what you want. They will be able to fit n' fiddle with it to get it right.
I did this with Slee. They could chew through the trial and error is so much faster having access to all the bits and bobs to make it right. In my case, they ended up going with a completely diff spring shock setup than was previously thought to have been sufficient. Plus they also addressed the new issues as a result of the lift.
DIY would have been a lengthy, frustrating struggle to get right.

Also, go find a local scale and get weights for:
Steer axle
Drive axle
Whole truck with load.

Also, go find a local scale and get weights for:
Steer axle
Drive axle
Whole truck with load.
Last time I was weighed I was about 5500 pretty evenly balanced without a load.

Just a suggestion, given the specific height you're after, between DIY and a shop install, recommend taking to a reputable shop.
Take it in at full load out, including fuel and tell them what you want. They will be able to fit n' fiddle with it to get it right.
I did this with Slee. They could chew through the trial and error is so much faster having access to all the bits and bobs to make it right. In my case, they ended up going with a completely diff spring shock setup than was previously thought to have been sufficient. Plus they also addressed the new issues as a result of the lift.
DIY would have been a lengthy, frustrating struggle to get right.
Cruiser outfitters is the one who I will be buying locally from. They don't have a tone of experience with Dobinson lift heights though. I am headed down there today to pick some springs and other parts up. Hopefully they can advise, but I don't think they will have much to say given they wont be doing the work. I would love for them to do the work, but they are a month out and I need my truck next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom