Cogged belts

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Docmallory, Mar 13, 2004.

1. Docmallory

Docmallory Guest

I bought my 80 a couple of weeks ago. It was making a horrible undulating/oscillating whine from the front of the engine, sounding a like a bearing heading south. The noise was so loud, it could be heard probably 50 yards away. :mad:

I used my mechanics stethescope to try and find the bad bearing, but could not find a culprit. Fearing this would probably necessitate a trip to a professional mechanic and cost me a bundle, I set out to educate myself as much as I could here on IH8MUD first.

All the search engine gave me about whining noises was a mention of the Gates cogged belts being noisy. What the heck, I figured, I'll replace the belts first and see if that helps.

I just got done with that job, and the truck sounds quiet and smooth now. The Toyota belts did the trick.

Now I can spend the money I had set aside to fix the noise on a new exhaust (because now the danged whistle is the most prominent sound from my truck). :D

2. Pitbull

Pitbull

I know what you mean I had the same thing happen. Sure is quiet now.

3. Outback

Outback

Ditto. Broke one cogged belt and just replaced them all with OEM Toyota.

4. warpdriv

warpdriv

I just tell people it's the supercharger... :D

But your right, they are evil...

5. RavenTai

RavenTai

just replaced mine and I am shocked how much of what I thought was normal engine noise was those Cogged belts. Besides a ticking noise the 80's engine is now almost silent, now I think I can hear a faint exhaust leak

on a side note the AC tensioner bearing in mine had a good bit of free play and makes a fair amount of noise, going to replace it soon

6. Rookie2

Rookie2

Is a belt tensioner gage thing-a-ma-deal needed to change out the belts?

Rookie2

7. semlin

semlin discouraged user

Media:
    Albums:
    same thing for me. I was all ready to replace an idler pully until proper belts cured it completely. Weird thing was oem belts were cheaper than gates.

8. moralien

moralien

[quote author=Rookie2 link=board=2;threadid=13097;start=msg129182#msg129182 date=1080617747]
    Is a belt tensioner gage thing-a-ma-deal needed to change out the belts?

Rookie2
    [/quote]

Only if your really anal. Best bet is to install em, then drive it for a while then check to see if you need to take any slack out.

9. RavenTai

RavenTai

now that I have a pull gage I looked through the FSM looking for a spec (X deflection at Y pounds across N span), I could not find one so I went by feel, is there a spec?

10. sjcruiser

sjcruiser

Raven,

IIRC, new belts are tensioned to 120lbs; whereas old ones are reinstalled @ 85lbs

Frank.

11. firetruck41

firetruck41

[quote author=sjcruiser link=board=2;threadid=13097;start=msg129601#msg129601 date=1080677706]
    IIRC, new belts are 120 (units); whereas old ones reinstalled @ 85

Frank.
    [/quote]
    1 matched pair of fan belts is: PN 90916-02353-83 $12.99 at the local stealer
    A/C belt is PN 99332-10910-83 $10.42 at the local stealer
    Above is for 93 FZJ 80.

EDIT: sjcruiser, it all makes sense now ;)

12. RavenTai

RavenTai

[quote author=sjcruiser link=board=2;threadid=13097;start=msg129601#msg129601 date=1080677706]
    Raven,

IIRC, new belts are tensioned to 120lbs; whereas old ones are reinstalled @ 85lbs

Frank.
    [/quote]

I assume you mean pulling force along the length of the belt? any Idea how to measure that with a pull gage? my Nissan gave a spec for at a certain point (middle of the longest span IIRC) pushing/pulling perpendicular to the belt a set # of pounds and check that it deflects a certain amount

I guess I can get a better feel setting with those numbers by hand but not sure how to actually measure that, is there a belt tension gage tool that reads like that?

my newly installed belts do not slip and don't flop around so I guess I am over analyzing

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.