1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cogged belts

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Docmallory, Mar 13, 2004.

1. Docmallory

Docmallory Guest

I bought my 80 a couple of weeks ago. It was making a horrible undulating/oscillating whine from the front of the engine, sounding a like a bearing heading south. The noise was so loud, it could be heard probably 50 yards away. :mad:

I used my mechanics stethescope to try and find the bad bearing, but could not find a culprit. Fearing this would probably necessitate a trip to a professional mechanic and cost me a bundle, I set out to educate myself as much as I could here on IH8MUD first.

All the search engine gave me about whining noises was a mention of the Gates cogged belts being noisy. What the heck, I figured, I'll replace the belts first and see if that helps.

I just got done with that job, and the truck sounds quiet and smooth now. The Toyota belts did the trick.

Now I can spend the money I had set aside to fix the noise on a new exhaust (because now the danged whistle is the most prominent sound from my truck). :D

2. Pitbull

Pitbull

I know what you mean I had the same thing happen. Sure is quiet now.

3. Outback

Outback

Ditto. Broke one cogged belt and just replaced them all with OEM Toyota.

4. warpdriv

warpdriv

I just tell people it's the supercharger... :D

But your right, they are evil...

5. RavenTai

RavenTai

just replaced mine and I am shocked how much of what I thought was normal engine noise was those Cogged belts. Besides a ticking noise the 80's engine is now almost silent, now I think I can hear a faint exhaust leak

on a side note the AC tensioner bearing in mine had a good bit of free play and makes a fair amount of noise, going to replace it soon

6. Rookie2

Rookie2

Is a belt tensioner gage thing-a-ma-deal needed to change out the belts?

Rookie2

7. semlin

semlin discouraged user

Media:
    Albums:
    same thing for me. I was all ready to replace an idler pully until proper belts cured it completely. Weird thing was oem belts were cheaper than gates.

8. moralien

moralien

[quote author=Rookie2 link=board=2;threadid=13097;start=msg129182#msg129182 date=1080617747]
    Is a belt tensioner gage thing-a-ma-deal needed to change out the belts?

Rookie2
    [/quote]

Only if your really anal. Best bet is to install em, then drive it for a while then check to see if you need to take any slack out.

9. RavenTai

RavenTai

now that I have a pull gage I looked through the FSM looking for a spec (X deflection at Y pounds across N span), I could not find one so I went by feel, is there a spec?

10. sjcruiser

sjcruiser

Raven,

IIRC, new belts are tensioned to 120lbs; whereas old ones are reinstalled @ 85lbs

Frank.

11. firetruck41

firetruck41

[quote author=sjcruiser link=board=2;threadid=13097;start=msg129601#msg129601 date=1080677706]
    IIRC, new belts are 120 (units); whereas old ones reinstalled @ 85

Frank.
    [/quote]
    1 matched pair of fan belts is: PN 90916-02353-83 $12.99 at the local stealer
    A/C belt is PN 99332-10910-83 $10.42 at the local stealer
    Above is for 93 FZJ 80.

EDIT: sjcruiser, it all makes sense now ;)

12. RavenTai

RavenTai

[quote author=sjcruiser link=board=2;threadid=13097;start=msg129601#msg129601 date=1080677706]
    Raven,

IIRC, new belts are tensioned to 120lbs; whereas old ones are reinstalled @ 85lbs

Frank.
    [/quote]

I assume you mean pulling force along the length of the belt? any Idea how to measure that with a pull gage? my Nissan gave a spec for at a certain point (middle of the longest span IIRC) pushing/pulling perpendicular to the belt a set # of pounds and check that it deflects a certain amount

I guess I can get a better feel setting with those numbers by hand but not sure how to actually measure that, is there a belt tension gage tool that reads like that?

my newly installed belts do not slip and don't flop around so I guess I am over analyzing