Code P0136 Strikes again! 2003 LC (197k) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This P0136 has been haunting me for months. I've had the 2003 Cruiser(197,000 miles) in the shop to diagnose 3 times. The first go around we replaced the Bank 1-Sensor 2 with an aftermarket (NGK I think). The CEL and other lights came back within 200 miles. The second time after reading here on Mud, I used a Denso O2 sensor...200 miles or so...Same thing! On the 3rd time, I replaced both O2 sensors with OEM from the Toyota dealer. I still get the CEL along with all of the other warning lights..... Only now they come on within 20 miles or so.

When the truck was in the shop they verified that it is not a loose connection or bad wiring. What else can it be?

This truck has been well maintained, I always run premium gas, it runs perfectly (even with the codes). No rust anywhere. All of the wires are still good and no cracking connectors anywhere. Fuel mileage sucks at around 10.2 to 13.2 but I attribute that to the lift & tire size. It is not a daily driver. I put about 100-200 per week (usually driving to the trail somewhere)

If anyone has had this same type of problem or know what I should check next, PLEASE let me know. I don't have a ton of tools so it goes to the shop for most repairs. I just don't want to take it somewhere and run up a huge bill just to have it come back again!

Do you have aftermarket cats? If so that can be the issue as some aren’t as efficient as OEM.

All OEM cats. Engine is all stock. Completely stock exhaust to the tailpipe. No bad smelling exhaust or performance issues. Help!

The only thing left are the 2 front sensors closer to header and the cat. From my research on this forum replacing the two rear O2 sensors with denso's should have fixed your problem.

I guess I should have been more clear. I replaced both sensors on Bank 1, driver side (front & rear). I have not done anything on bank 2 passenger side.

Bump....Gotta get this figured out. Registration/Smog check coming due.
Thanks

Its either the sensors or the cat or both.

Thank you for the response.

I was thinking the same thing. So today I took it to a smog check place. For $40 they hooked up to the tailpipe and looked at the readings. They said it is well within spec. They wouldn't give me a lot of information. Of course they wanted to keep it in their shop to diagnose. I'm trying to avoid just throwing more parts and money at it. I was hoping someone on here had gone through the same thing and had a definite fix to their problem. I guess I will need to find a shop that I trust to do the diagnoses.

I open to suggestions if anyone has more ideas.

Search on the forums you can use a bluetooth obd2 reader to read the 02 sensor voltages. It shows you if they are within spec so you know its not the sensors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom