Code Alarm wet, going off. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I already searched the forums. Did not find what I was looking for.
Hey, does anyone here have experience with Code Alarms, in Cruisers?

Mine came with one installed by the dealership.

When it gets real wet and I drive in lots of heavy rain, or go through a deep puddle, like less than 12" deep.
Something is getting wet and my whole Code Alarm system is not working until we get dry weather.
Also the remote stops working, the FOB.
Also alarm goes off at random, even if I did not set the alarm.

Any advice on how to waterproof this, and where.

Thanks

Stick it in a plastic bag, ideally surrounded by your trashcan.

Seriously, it sounds :::get it::: like it's doing zero positive good.

Carefully find all the connections & remove it, the only good alarm is one that you know is set conservative so if it goes off means something, and it better not take anything away from drivability.

Round file that thing.

I have a Code Alarm too that was installed at some point before I got my 80. Let me give you a tip on getting your remote to work. Open it up and bend the contact tabs towards the battery to where they are constantly touching the battery. I did that and now I can be 100 feet away from my LC and it will lock or unlock. Kind of crazy actually. It hardly worked before and now works great.

Shucks the code alarm when it works works great and I was kind of liking it.

But now I'm starting to dislike the thing. I remember seeing a thread here on how to uninstall the code alarm and I've heard it's a royal P ITA

Apparently you have to take out the underlayment carpet take out the seats and do surgery on the wiring because it's buried deep under the vehicle.

I really don't want to go through that whole process is there a shortcut way of just totally disabling and temporarily shutting down the code alarm system so I don't have to deal with it?

most alarms are under the drivers seat or under the dash on the drivers side.......and yea the water getting to it is not good, I would start by finding it, even if you remove it that water isn't good for your cruisers floor and other electronics.............might as well find out how its getting wet and stop that water getting in.

The stock alarm is under the seat. Attached by a zip tie. You can pull it out and open it up to check if their is corrosion. If you have water getting in there you probably have another issue to address. I have fixed a few fobs. Just give them a good cleaning and as petard before adjust th contacts

Thanks everyone, for the info, so good so far.
But I was hoping to also get some info by someone who was familiar with 'CODE' (Brand) Alarm systems for the FZJ80 Series landcruiser.
I have seen articles here on Code Alarm uninstalls.

Now I'm not talking about the Toyota Stock Alarm System.

mine was installed at a bay area Toyota dealer. Code alarm was an higher end security system, that would disable the ingnition.

I cut the wire to the speaker under the hood. So the alarm/security system is still working, but it is silent.

@ironbinder - OK, so you cut the horn lead (sure, works) -- but let me retell your story now & see if it makes sense.

"-Hi, I have a 20 year old piece installed in my 80 that's unreliable, provides an occasional false trigger & yet I still like it."

Does that sound reasonable?

Just because it was a good alarm 20 years ago, doesn't mean a single thing now. Your best friend from 20 yrs ago isn't the same thing as being friends the last 20 years, and this alarm is out to "lay pipe up your 6" -real soon.

I'm far from a hater, I have a higher end unit in my 80 - remote start, impact sensor set right, and starter kill isn't wired (can of worms right there).
My buddy runs the towns' best 12v stereo shop, not a chain - so he's free to choose what he likes & I buy it either through him or the net if they don't carry.

Alarms are only supported for 3,5 yrs max & that's the companies still around - yours is now Voxx, but old Code died long ago. Because the support is how my buddy chooses alarms, Directed is who he uses (Clifford & Viper parent comp).

An alarm has a expected life of 5-7 years, so yours is geriatric at best, and with your leak I bet is flat ugly inside because of the humidity & condensation.

Do yourself a favor, cut it loose & get a modern unit in that isn't starter kill wired, but the impact is set correct & you will pay attention to, because nobody else cares when your alarm goes off.

Mine has a 2 mile radius for the alarm to signal the remote the alarm is tripped, you'll be surprised the features you get for relatively cheap in 2017.

And pick your installer carefully, get someone who has a decade in 12v electronics - install is everything when it comes to your wire harness. No Best Buy / chain store with a ton of pimple faced kids doing it.

Yeah, I should probably just get rid of it. Does anyone know how difficult it is to remove a Code Alarm system from a Cruiser? Or how to do it?
I've heard it is a pain in the a##

Don't get me wrong - central locking from the remote is a big feature - I'd take it to a COMPETENT shop & explain the alarm, location, and have an update piece installed, either a simple unit that gets you all the same features (ask them about starter kill, it's for some people but not me) - and get the impact set right so if it goes off you know there's a real situation.

$300-400 installed, you use the same taps the factory unit uses, and the installer will love not being upside down under the dash for a change.

EDIT - IDK how hard it is to "uninstall" - my buddy substituted a Viper version of my Clifford in my LX450, and he spent <10 mins undoing the 40th AE one, left the box under the seat. I think he did some jumper wire, but really since we trade my welding & he does wires, I just said 'thanks' & that was that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom