Code 71 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just got to diagnose my engine light and I haven’t had too much experience working with things like this, does this code usually mean buy new parts and see if light goes off or can I take things apart and repair?

I just got to diagnose my engine light and I haven’t had too much experience working with things like this, does this code usually mean buy new parts and see if light goes off or can I take things apart and repair?

Help us out:
What year and model? I am guessing based on your username that it's a 91 or 92 FJ80 with the 3FE engine......

Depending on what code 71 is, would determine if it's repairable or R/R.

EGR modulator, clean egr inlet through the top of intake, test or replace the VSV. My 97 had the p0401 which I believe is similar to code 71 on obd. Replaced egr modulator and all vacuum hoses, fixed issue, code came back months later, i cleaned the egr intake inlet passage, kept code off for 5 months, then tested my VSV and replaced with a cheapo dorman unit, fixed it. Do it all at once so you eliminate the possible culprits.

On my 94 I had to replace the EGR temp sensor, replace all of the small hoses, clean the EGR itself with a wire brush and cleaner. I also replaced the vacuum modulator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom