Code 71 Egr valve. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m driving 4 hours Sunday to pick up a 1993 80 series that’s in pretty great shape. 198,000 miles on the Odo. The current owner said the check engine light came on yesterday and threw a code 71. Not totally knowing what I’m getting into, if the Egr valve or temp sensor are bad should I drive this thing 4 hrs home?

I’m driving 4 hours Sunday to pick up a 1993 80 series that’s in pretty great shape. 198,000 miles on the Odo. The current owner said the check engine light came on yesterday and threw a code 71. Not totally knowing what I’m getting into, if the Egr valve or temp sensor are bad should I drive this thing 4 hrs home?
I bought my 1994 with a CEL 71 and have been driving it for a couple years without any major issues.

You can test the EGR valve assembly with the steps outlined in the factory service manual to see if the actual valve is your issue, but as far as I know, clearing that code means throwing a lot of parts at the whole EGR system. Check and replace the easy stuff like vacuum hoses first.

Most people, especially in places without a visual emissions test like SC, just delete the PAIR and EGR system. @LC4LIFE makes a EGR Temp Sensor Plug too, worth checking out. EGR Temp Sensor Test Plug - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/egr-temp-sensor-test-plug.1050922/

Another good thread: EGR and code 71 - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/egr-and-code-71.79300/

You should be fine. Plan on removing the throttle body and upper intake to thoroughly clean out accumulated carbon and replace *all* the vacuum hoses. You probably need a new EGR modulator and maybe an EGR solenoid (it's on the underside of the upper intake, so it's worth replacing regardless as long as you're under there, and you can find an inexpensive Dorman unit that works fine).

The EGR valve itself basically never fails.

My 94 had a cel code 71 for years and was finally resolved as per gummycarbs above when I got serious about it. The throttle body and manifold cleaning was the real key.
Welcome and best wishes with your new old 80!

Interesting. I deleted the PAIR and did the loop back.
Didn't have a CEL before or after. And the delete has proven a sum+.
If it "just happened yesterday", be sure to check the condition of the coolant, oil, PCV, and tranny fluid before hitting the highway.
As @gummycarbs pointed out, it is likely just gunk in the works.
Congrats and cheers!

Oh and
ps - there is no temp sensor for the exhaust in a May 93 and older rig.
The plug might be there, but it shouldn't be connected to anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom