Coated engine bearings

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by bjowett, Jun 13, 2005.

1. bjowett

bjowett

Anyone else around here use coatings? This will be my second engine to use polymer/moly coated main and rod bearings. I use Swain Tech, excellent company... I feel it is safe to say the Jury is back in on coated bearings, and they work wonderfully. The extra protection they offer is nice... here's a nice article on bearings (including coatings) for those interested....

http://www.automotiverebuilder.com/ar/eb030526.htm

2. cruiseroutfit

cruiseroutfit Supporting Vendor Moderator

Can other bearings be coated? Meaning, can I send the bearings out of a rebuild kit to a particular shop and have them coated or do they only carry certain models?

3. bjowett

bjowett

Short answer, yes, you can have any bearing coated.

Longer - You can have bearings coated, amongst just about any other part... that is how I did it, useing stock Toyota units. Up until a few years ago, it was the only way to obtain a coated bearing.

Swain Tech's price list..

http://swaintech.com/price.html

4. PabloCruise

PabloCruise SILVER Star

Yep, you can coat any bearing! I run coated main and rod bearings in my Honda. (little higher redline than the old 2F...)

5. slambson

slambson

I ran moly coated ones in my Mitsu engine on the rods and mains. I did the piston skirts also with a ceramic coating on the piston tops and exhaust manifolds as well as the turbine section. Personally I used Calico Coatings back east. They appear to work well in my non-LC application.

You will need to account for the extra thickness the coating adds. For my rods and mains it made the tolerances 'tight'.

6. bjowett

bjowett

The factory Toyota 1FZ pistons have coated skirts. I like specs to be a little tight.... so stock coated bearings on a polished crank should be just right. :D

7. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

Seems like a waste of money to me. I've never spun a bearing or even wore one out.

8. PabloCruise

PabloCruise SILVER Star

Thank you! Calico is who I used...

9. bjowett

bjowett

It very well could be a waste of money for many folks... with that said, just because you have not lost a bearing, dosn't mean it can't or won't happen. Several folks on this sight have lost a bearing, including me. There are situations offroad where oil pressure can be lost... I'll take the extra protection!

10. cruiseroutfit

cruiseroutfit Supporting Vendor Moderator

Just found out that a local shop (High Performance Coatings) offers this service, I may have them do all my 3FE bearings prior to build.

Question... Does the machine shop need to machine according to the thickness of this coating, or is it minute enough to discount in the build?

Thanks... :D

11. reffug

reffug

Tank I respect what your saying but................................

Like alot of us arn't doing that already.

12. bjowett

bjowett

The coating is minute.. it will tighten things slightly, but all should be within spec.

13. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

I don't have a problem spending money on the truck, but justifying it can be a little rough.

I always look for the return on the investment. Brian stated he and others have had bearing problems with these engines. I must be going senial as I can't remember ever reading about it.

I am also assuming it's rather expensive to do so I should wait to see the final bill also.

14. bjowett

bjowett

A full Toyota bearing set for the 1FZ retails at about $216... as Cdan would say, a smart shopper could find them for about $160 - $170. Having the coatings applied will be about $80. Cheap insurance if you ask me.... Thanks for bringing up a counter point (that being cost/gain), Rick, it definetly helps folks see it from both sides.

15. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

$80.00 doesn't seem that bad at all. Hell I'd do it. Will they only coat new bearings or will they also be able to prep used ones for coating also.

16. scottm

scottm

Media:
    Albums:
    I just made a bearing that had to be aluminum, sent it to http://www.nimet.com/ for hard Teflon anodize. Engine manufacturers are using coated aluminum bearings like that. They also have anti-friction coatings for steel and other materials, maybe something for your bearings. There are other coating places like this all over the country.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.