CO2 vs Nitrogen (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Brentbba

Former Golfer
Threads
I know CO2 is used quite a bit and that's what's offered at most 4x4 shops that sell 'tools' for airing up, outside of an onboard compressor.

Is anyone using nitrogen? Doug's comment on global warming in another thread prompted this. Environmentally CO2 isn't the greatest.

Pro's/Con's, outside of the environmental one? Let's get some discussion here.

How are you going to air up with Nitrogen when off-road?

Get the CO2. If you don't want to CO2, get a compressor (which is what I have). Besides, all the CO2 released will make the flora in your area happier. You'll be helping the trees.

Those really concerned about CO2 being released should stop breathing...that'll help reduce the amount of CO2 :D

How did my comment prompt this? I'm on the don't sweat the hype side of the argument...as such, I'd say release all the CO2 you want...

Notrogen expands 7 times as it leaves the storage bottle. CO2 expands 40 times. Costs less too. And it's stored at lower pressure (safer).

If you are worried about the amount of CO2 released by an tire airing setup...Put some flowers in your kichen window. It'll more than compensate for it. Or drink a few less carbonated drinks

Mark...

NorCalDoug said:
How are you going to air up with Nitrogen when off-road?

Similar configuration to CO2 as far as tank and regulator.

Nitrogen also hasn't been the cure all for tires that some installers thought it would be. Costco is talking about getting rid of it in their tire shops.

CO2 undergoes a phase change from liquid to gas at fairly low pressure. There is much more CO2 by volume in a tank than compressed nitrogen. I see 7 verses 20 quoted above, I thought it was far more than that. If this is for trail use, leave the high pressure nitrogen at home. Besides, compressed air would have exactly the same perfomance in this application (fills after 4wheeling) and be way cheaper. I have filled tires with my scuba tank-just a thought.

Nuf said - thanks guys!

Liquid CO2 is not manufactured from carbon & oxygen. Already existing C02 is removed from the atmosphere and liquified at same time liquid oxygen is being produced. Eventually it goes back from where it came.

Cruiserdrew said:
CO2 undergoes a phase change from liquid to gas at fairly low pressure. There is much more CO2 by volume in a tank than compressed nitrogen. I see 7 verses 20 quoted above, I thought it was far more than that.

Yep. As quoted above it's 40 times, not 20. ;)

Mark...

This is what Power tank has to say about the usage difference

Why Does The Power Tank Use CO2 Instead Of Nitrogen?

CO2 will give you three times the energy of Nitrogen in a given tank size. Having one tank of CO2 is like carrying three tanks of nitrogen. This makes it more economical and means that you'll have the power when you need it, all in one small tank.

So who is right?

Here is some Q&A from offroadair
5. Does the pressure drop as the SOURCE™ depletes?
Absolutely not. The SOURCE™uses the evaporated liquid CO2. As long as there is liquid remaining, your tank will have full pressure.

6. How does the SOURCE™ compare to a 5 gallon air tank?
The OA-TANK10YL is less than half the size of a 5 gallon air tank but holds 20 times the capacity. A 5 gallon air tank pressurized to 125PSI will inflate two 33X12.50x15 truck tires from 10-20PSI. The OA-TANK10YL will inflate thirty nine (39) tires the same size, taking only 30 seconds a tire! See chart for air up times, comparing tires size vs. pressure.

7. How safe is OFFROADAIR SOURCE™ system?
Every component in the SOURCE™ system is professional quality & heavy duty utilizing only the strongest materials. All system’s are built safe. The lightweight cylinder is manufactured from 6061-T6 aluminum with a service pressure of 1800PSI and a safety burst mechanism of 3000PSI. The safety is designed to “let go” when cylinder is introduced to extreme heat, fire or overfill. This safety factor is very high when considering CO2 @ room temperature is 700-800PSI. The valve protection carry handle has dual purposes; manufactured from high impact materials protecting the on/off valve and also making the SOURCE™ easy to move. Please Note: Use precaution & common sense when ever using, handling high pressure gases and equipment.

8. Why CO2 instead of air or nitrogen?
The SOURCE™ stores CO2 in liquid form which results in air storage 3 times the energy of nitrogen or air. This means you are storing three nitrogen tanks in one using the the SOURCE™.

9. Is CO2 gas safe on my equipment?
CO2 is non-toxic, non-corrosive, and totally inert. This means its safe on your air tools, tires & metal wheels. The thermal expansion is similar to air once released from the tank.

LandCruiserPhil said:
This is what Power tank has to say about the usage difference

Why Does The Power Tank Use CO2 Instead Of Nitrogen?

CO2 will give you three times the energy of Nitrogen in a given tank size. Having one tank of CO2 is like carrying three tanks of nitrogen. This makes it more economical and means that you'll have the power when you need it, all in one small tank.

So who is right?

I'll put my faith in the guys I get my welding supplies from. They sell all sorts of industrial gases in all sorts of volumes every day. That's where my numbers come from. I've seen them other places as well over the years.

Keep in mind that the method of storing the gasses differ. It is very possible (almost certain) that the amount of either gas stored in the tank is not the same.

No matter how you cut it or who measures it, you have more inflation potential in a tank of CO2 than a comparble size/weight tank of nitrogen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom