CO2 Tank regulators (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Threads
Depending on which tank you buy, they give you several options

1) Cheap regulator
2) Super regulator
3) Super regulator with gauge

Names changed to protect the various companies.

Not sure I would spend the extra $50-$100 for regulator #3. When its empty its obvious and for tire inflation, setting it to specific PSI doesn't matter much once your in that range. Or am I missing something?

High flow is what seems to work best - ( even tho it still can freeze) power-tank withstanding...

Mine has a gauge but I usually have it set at 150 - I would guess you want to fill the tires fast so 150 seems to be a nice balance of fast fill and least freezing

Ken, the adj. regulator is good if you are using air tools and need to step down the psi or for other purposes... like kegs

adjustable.

The group buy is a pretty good deal...if you already have a CO2 bottle though, I would shop around for a reg. Kurt mentioned refurbed adjustable for $50, I've seen some beverage suppliers online sell them for $50 as well.

Nice to run 150 to air up tires but throttle it down to run an air ratchet or fill up an air mattress.

The group buy does seem like a good deal. I have a 10lb Outback system in my 40. I am looking for a second system for the Lexus. That way daughterofromer could use the system from the 40 in her 4runner.

I am debating between 15lb vs a 20lb tank. !5lb is 36 lbs loaded and the 30 is 49lbs. The 10lber I have, almost gets me through a season. Either would probably work. 20 lb might be a bit heavey to carry around. Hmmmmm decisions decisons!

the bev supply regulators I have seen are quite small compared to the offroad hi-flow regulators. They resist freezing very well...
how do the bev. regulators perform for offroad use?

I imagine that the tank fitting is somewhat generic such as propane tanks are since I just take my Powertank to the local compressed gas supplier and say "fill'er-up".

What size tank do you run Dan? Would you go with the 15lb or the 20lb if you had it to do over?

I think George is developing a rash from all that scratching

Not Dan but... I have a 20lb tank - filled it is now 40 lbs- I am leaving this one in the garage for a 10lb

The 20 lb can fill well over 40 - 33" tires on one filling - I think 20 tires plus is enough for me :)

I would imagine the alum tank are quite a bit less heavy than the steel ones.
I borrowed a steel 20 pounder. It weighs 38 lbs full with cap and bracket (not reg).
20 is pretty big to carry around though.

I tried setting up the reg to 30 lbs so that it would stop inflating by itself when reaching 30, but it took a very long time. It's much faster to set the reg to 150 and go full blast and stop a couple of times to measure the tire press.
I would say that given that the whole point of the CO2 system is to inflate fast, that it is worth getting a reg that can allow high flow rate.

oh, and yes, the fittings are indeed specific to a particular gas or type of gas (CGA 320 for CO2 IIRC) and they have all sorts of precautions such as fuels being reverse threads etc. Obviously, you want to avoid mixups while welding etc...

Eric,
Even the cheap ones go the high flow rate, its the expensive ones that can be dialed down for air tools

Just get a Hi flow reg from a Bar company...adjustable and everything just way cheaper in price not quality. Check ebay

Romer said:
I am debating between 15lb vs a 20lb tank. !5lb is 36 lbs loaded and the 30 is 49lbs. The 10lber I have, almost gets me through a season. Either would probably work. 20 lb might be a bit heavey to carry around. Hmmmmm decisions decisons!

Well you just helped me with one of my decisions/indecisions Ken thanks. :cheers:

The Cramer Decker high flow non-freezing valve is excellent. It isn't adjustable but it works and it's fast. I posted previously that I aired up 3 Wagons in the time it took NorCalDoug to air up 3 tires on his rig with the medium sized Viair.

I previously have used an adjustable beverage regulator-don't waste your time. It's way too slow and freezes up.

I currently have a 20 pound tank-it's too big to take in the FJ40. It has lots of air, but next time out I'm going to a 10 pounder, especially since most of my co2 using friends are finally getting their own systems.

Cruiserdrew said:
The Cramer Decker high flow non-freezing valve is excellent. It isn't adjustable but it works and it's fast. I posted previously that I aired up 3 Wagons in the time it took NorCalDoug to air up 3 tires on his rig with the medium sized Viair.

I previously have used an adjustable beverage regulator-don't waste your time. It's way too slow and freezes up.

I currently have a 20 pound tank-it's too big to take in the FJ40. It has lots of air, but next time out I'm going to a 10 pounder, especially since most of my co2 using friends are finally getting their own systems.

Do you have a link for the valve

Romer said:
What size tank do you run Dan? Would you go with the 15lb or the 20lb if you had it to do over?

I think George is developing a rash from all that scratching

I have the small Powertank and I like the size and weight. It's easier to tote around and easier to secure in the vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom