CO2 install? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone install a CO2 tank mount in the back of their hundy? In my FJ it was easy but there doesn't seem to be an obvious spot in this rig without building a box.?.

I've seen them to one side of a set of drawers, and if it's a really small bottle you could put it where the factory jack resides. I just use my ARB compressor though so don't have anything solid to add.

Drawers would make it easy but I dont have any and dont have plans to build em. I have some quick fists to hold the tank in place but not sure where to place em.

If you are not going to put in drawer system there really is not a good place....mine has a metal mounting bracket/system for the tank and thought about cutting a piece of plywood to match cargo area and put my weathertech cargo mat on top and install the black metal tank mount so it stands up in the PS corner up against tailgate and rear panel. That was only place that would not take up as much room and without tank would have minimal impact to space but still be readily accessible...

In my FJC I replaced the shopping bag hooks and mounted a steel bar there to mount tank against...but no such luck in 100. Good luck.....I will likely put in drawers this Fall but if not will follow through with my plywood base under my weathertech and let you know how it goes. It was great in Ouray couple years ago...aired down and back up every day plus did my buddies truck and a few others as well and never ran out from 18psi up to 40psi.

Yep, I have the bar mount with the CO2 system set up in the FJC, tank sits up off the floor. I was thinking about mounting the quick fists in the back right side of the cargo area, cant find any other option. If I find get it done Ill post up a pic.

Have at it fellas....

Heres the setup I have in my 100... let me know if you like it.
El Paso-20110807-00391.jpg
El Paso-20110807-00392.jpg
El Paso-20110807-00395.jpg

Out of curiosity, why CO2 and not N2? Wasn't N2 the rage for a while for tire inflation? N2 should be just as accessible...

For one:
More storage capacity. (or more tire fills per bottle)
CO2 stores as a liquid inside the bottle with just the top bit being gas.
N2 does not store (in a similar tank) as liquid nitrogen.

http://www.offroadair.net/qanda.html#8

For one:
More storage capacity. (or more tire fills per bottle)
CO2 stores as a liquid inside the bottle with just the top bit being gas.
N2 does not store (in a similar tank) as liquid nitrogen.

OffRoadAir Source Q & A

Interesting. Makes complete sense. I didn't realize it was a liquid. Professionally, I go through a ton of liquid Ar and N2, but it's in trailers, tanks, or dewars. Both of those liquids, however, are cryogenic and will boil off over time so they have a perishable shelf life. I guess CO2 can stay as a liquid perpetually. Thanks for the link!

Interesting. Makes complete sense. I didn't realize it was a liquid. Professionally, I go through a ton of liquid Ar and N2, but it's in trailers, tanks, or dewars. Both of those liquids, however, are cryogenic and will boil off over time so they have a perishable shelf life. I guess CO2 can stay as a liquid perpetually. Thanks for the link!

It being liquid inside the bottle is why it is required to be nearly upright when using a CO2 bottle. (for most bottle designs)
If it is on its side or slanted too far, you will get liquid CO2 coming out of the regulator. Which will be bad.

Though, you can store it/mount it on its side no problem.

I like that mount option Masta, still not sure what I am going to do. I might make a single drawer, system, still undecided.

Oregon, CO2 last a long time unless you have to run a lot of air tools. I can air up 4 tires quite a few times, the key is having a regulator that does not freeze up. I built my system for $200 filled and ready to go.

This is an old thread, but I'm about to order a CO2 set-up, so I figured I'd give it a bump!

I had a friend burn me out some metal that I welded into a box. I store my straps and shackles and other misc stuff under the tank and had used turn buckles to hold it down in the back. I'll admit though that while it was nice to have the CO2 tank not just rolling around it was still less than ideal for access. I think the issue has more to do with the possible mount points than the metal box so I'm hoping to make some adjustments when I get drawers in a little bit. I do use a 20# tank though that I was given for free.

X8ZIfkEl.jpg

I like that. Put a strap handle on it and the whole package comes out when your wife wants to take it grocery shopping, lol.

Anyone else have CO2 mount pics?

I have one that usually resides in the storage bag.

Also it seems Quick Fist has a larger mount that seems it might hold the tank well.

Anyone used this mount yet?

IMG_1062.PNG

I have a quick fist mounted to a small plywood skid. I slide it onto the floor between front row and second row.

IMG_2031.JPG

IMG_2032.JPG

IMG_2033.JPG

I have a quick fist mounted to a small plywood skid. I slide it onto the floor between front row and second row.
Do you worry at all about that tank flying around in the unfortunate event of an accident?

Not really. With my 2nd row seats usually folded down, and my drivers seat tilted back there really is no place for it to fly to. Its wedged in there pretty good.

I have yet to find a good mounting location for my power tank so for now I swap it between my 60 and 100 and strap it on the roof rack, it stays at home if I'm not on a trip

I've hopped on the Co2 bandwagon and now I'm over it. Heavy tank, it needs to be secured like Fort Know so it doesn't go Challenger on you in an accident, it takes up a bunch of space, and it's a PITA to refill or swap it, plus refills aren't free.

Sure the rapid tire inflation on Co2 is nice but I'm happy to wait an extra 60 seconds per tire with a compressor and not have to deal with the above. Just my thoughts...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom