Co2 Bottle on J40 Yes or No (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All!

I want to run with a bottle of C02 instead of a compressor(too many $$). I will be running the dunes when I get her done this week. I'll run it around 10-14lbs per tire and air up to 45lbs for the trip home.

Who's running Co2 for filling their tires? do you Like it? How much use do you get out of it before your refill? Pros and Cons? etc.

There's a place here in Vancouver, WA that will custom make a mounting bracket for about $25,(AirGas) the tank is free( I have two from my restaurant) I'll have to buy a regulator/hose, etc. and pay for the Co2, I'll be into it for about $100 to get it going, after that, each refill will run about $10-$15 max(or that's what they tell me for a 10lb bottle).

Any input would be great before I spend the money.

Thank you!! RangerJ401973(Tim Ranger)

Assumption: The use is for tire refills after airing down and tools if required.
Tools work great on it.
Many of the tire shops are filling with nitrogen. Don't know bout Co2. Expansion when it gets warm may be an issue.

Thanks TCLHOPII,

Yeah, it's for refilling the tires for the way home. I'll look into the gas expansion due to heat and post it up. Quite a few Off Roader's are using Co2(it's cheaper than nitrogen and easier to access I'm told) in my area. I never even thought about the expansion issues, I'll find out.

Thanks for the "heads up"

Tim

I carry a 10 pound CO2 bottle and it will air up my four tires about 5 times (~25psi increase). It cost under $6 to have it refilled at the local bottling plant.

I use a large 20 lb tank which also serves as shielding gas for welding.

Only way to go for me. I hate waiting for compressors, I hate the noise and I hate all the plumbing, wiring and fab work required. Just mount the tank with a quick release and go.

If I was leading an expedition I might consider a compressor! :D

CO2 - Yes

After observing various compressor arrangements I decided CO2 was the way to go for me. I've used a 10 lb. tank for two wheeling seasons - primarily for tires - very occasionally for air tools. I usually air down my 35s to 15-18 lb and back up to 35 lb for the trip home. I haven't kept careful track, but I'd say 5 or 6 trips between tank refills.

At first, I'd weigh the tank before each trip and if it was within a pound or so of empty weight, I'd re-fill it. This was the only down-side for me. Trying to get use out of all the CO2 in the tank caused me to come up short a couple of times. Now I have a second tank, and don't worry about weight - just run one tank 'til it's empty, switch the regulator to the full one, and re-fill the empty when I get home.

As far as heat goes, summer temps here are typically 90F + and the tank is often in direct sun. I've not seen any indication that it makes a difference. HTH.
Alfred

Co2 yes!

Love it , use to have a york but ended up using a 1/4 tank of gas filling up everyones tires. Now I still fill up others rigs, but its much cheaper. Its been in 110+ temp all day in the sun , never thought twice about it.

CO2: YEP!!!

I have a 15 lb cylinder, a regulator and bracket from Powertank, and my own hose. Works great! I second the 5-6 trips/tank, but I'm usually around 10 psi or so up to 35 psi on a 35-36" tire.

20lb tank, static regulator, 20 ft hose (get a 30ft then you can leave the tank in the rig. 20 works but would be nice to have the longer one)

Wow!!

You guys are great! I'm convinced. I am going to go with two 20 pound bottles. I already get lousy gas mileage with the SBC, I'm not going to worry about some more weight.

Thanks for all of your input,

Tim

I love mine. Dont use it as much now. Run it all the time in the summer. no problem but I have my hard top on tho. If you know some that have alot of tanks you could get a good price. I built my co2 set up for less then 100 bucks. tank reg. and hose, and air chunk. Not use it much anymore since I tow my rig now. and I dont pop beads

Wow! Learned something. I like the idea of haveing shielding gas and the ability to air up quickly.

question: i used to play paintball, and the nitrogen/HPA (high pressure air) tanks range from ~45CI up to ~70CI size tanks, but can handle 4500 PSI, sometimes more. would a 70CI tank filled at 4500 PSI be able to fill up 4 tires @ 40psi? the paintball tanks only weigh a few pounds and are way smaller than a 20lbs tank, though on the expensive side (cheap to fill though).

and also from paintball experience, CO2 is very responsive to temperature. we would have to adjust our markers several times just from the day warming up. if you run a nitrogen/hpa system though, the pressure is constant in the morning and afternoon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom