CO- Sand Dunes

Anyone camp there. Going down there this weekend with some buddies. Do we have to camp in designated spots or is it free for all on all open areas. Thanks. :beer:

There are actual campgrounds there, not on the sand, they are across a little stream from the sand, normal pay Forest Service (or whoever it is that manages the camping for CO) camping there. If you drive from those campgrounds towards the dunes then you quickly go into National Forest I think, something like that, and you can camp whereever you want at that point. I guess you could camp up ON the actual dunes, never done that, fun to hike around on, jump, flip, fall, eat sand.. :D bring a sled it's fun on the really steep ones. I've been down there a few times, nice place, the dunes are totally out of place too, that's the wierdest part, doesn't look right to have dunes next to the mountains.

Like mabrodis said there are designated camping spots. I havent been there since I was little but you can drive from the camp to a parking lot and it is a 2 min walk to the dunes.

Strip the wax off your skis or board and take some pam. Spray the pam on the bottom and go down the dunes that way. All kinds of fun. plus you can get sand burns when you wipe out hard.

There are actual campgrounds there, not on the sand, they are across a little stream from the sand, normal pay Forest Service
That is right. It's a lot of fun down there. And there is a good 4x road on one side of the park, forget the name of the trail(have not done it yet..) Think next time I go need to bring an old snowboard....

So the problem is that we won't be able to get down there untill around 6pm this Friday. We going to have a problem finding a spot on this busy weekend?

Oh yea, and I am going to go pick up a cheap sled at a store before going down.... hopefully one with a beer holder. :)

DenverCruiser said:
So the problem is that we won't be able to get down there untill around 6pm this Friday. We going to have a problem finding a spot on this busy weekend?

Oh yea, and I am going to go pick up a cheap sled at a store before going down.... hopefully one with a beer holder. :)
My guess is yes, you will have trouble finding a camping site and most likely will not be able to camp in the actual campground. I'm sure you can call, look up on the Forest Service website, there should be something about it.

The road others are talking about goes from the main camping area along side of the dunes, some people drive on it to the dunes, maybe 1/2 mile (you can walk to the dunes very easily, but if you drive you get to the side of the dunes where it's steeper), pretty soft sand, be careful I've seen many drivers just flying through there, it's a bit fun, banked turns and all that but these guys were all over and would have hit someone if there had been anyone else going the other way, so be careful on that road...and don't slowdown in the soft sand (stay on your side, but don't try to go slow), I pulled many people out with my 40, they just thought their loaded down Blazer could chug through sand...not gonna happen, in sand speed and momentum is your friend, and don't spin your tires. That road goes beside the dunes, some stop there, but it keeps going, becomes a semi-4x4 trail, not really but a very scenic drive through the trees, people camp all over around there...my guess is this weekend it'll be very busy.

Oh, one cool thing is there is a airup station (IIRC) near the only gas station/store there (probably 1/4 mile before the main campground, you can't miss it), air is where the big dumpsters are, etc...nice place...take a camera and try to get some good "I live in Saudi Arabia now" pictures for Christmas cards.. :D

Top Bottom