Builds GX470 Slow Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sorry to bump this, but do you think the FJ rear diff lock switch would fit in the 07+ bezel p/n 5544660050 ? I'm looking for factory looking options to add rear diff lock...Here is a generic picture of them....

uploadfromtaptalk1453249677207-jpg.1194318

FJ rear diff lock switch
picture_toyota_fj_cruiser_a-trac_switch_install_2.jpg
Yeah if I had to guess I think it should fit. Seems to be the same size to snap into that space.

MT Willy - Which dealership did you use for your TB/WP?

I went to mountain states Toyota in Denver. They ran some summer special last year, got the whole thing done for like $700.

Awesome - thank you. What part of Denver are you in? Would love to get a look at your rig. I'm way south in Highlands Ranch.

Awesome - thank you. What part of Denver are you in? Would love to get a look at your rig. I'm way south in Highlands Ranch.
Yeah no problem, I've had good experience at Mountain States. I'm in the northeast near Brighton. Yeah you are welcome to if you are ever near these parts. There's a several Denver area GX's, I'd love to get a Denver run together on some trails when the snow melts.

Finally got a chance to install the foam cell pros. Still have to do the sliders, hopefully soon. The ride is vastly improved over the worn out stock suspension. Can't wait to try it off-road.

View attachment 1376250
How firm are the foam cell pros compared to stock?

How firm are the foam cell pros compared to stock?
They are firm, but not stiff, I'm happy with the ride for sure. My stock suspension was really worn out and sagging, so they feel firmer to me than they may actually be just based on that. When I get my gear and rtt in the vehicle I think it will ride just right. Empty it rides great on the interstate and trails. Firmer on the side roads and such, but it's not bad. It's kinda hard for me to compare them to anything since this is my first lifted vehicle.

View attachment 1226914 Just got my Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform installed with a 3 person RTT from Odin Designs in Castle Rock, CO. I'm very pleased with everything so far. Any Colorado guys looking for a rack or tent hit Odin Designs up, he's a new outfitter getting his business going, had some pretty good deals going. Next up is running boards delete, sliders, radflo lift, and tires.

Hey Willy- I have a question. Sorry this is responding to such an old post but, I am attempting, literally at the moment, to install the Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform. Their site, and the parts that they sent for the GX include two RTS01 tracks that are supposed to be riveted into the roof. The tracks don't match the profile of the channel on vehicle so I am seriously doubting that this is correct (even though their website shows it as part of the fitment). I'm curious if yours has this track installed or if the feet that yours uses are the ones required for the Prado.

Hey Willy- I have a question. Sorry this is responding to such an old post but, I am attempting, literally at the moment, to install the Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform. Their site, and the parts that they sent for the GX include two RTS01 tracks that are supposed to be riveted into the roof. The tracks don't match the profile of the channel on vehicle so I am seriously doubting that this is correct (even though their website shows it as part of the fitment). I'm curious if yours has this track installed or if the feet that yours uses are the ones required for the Prado.
Hey man sorry for the late response. I didn't get a track to rivet into the roof with my order, I used the 6 mounting feet for the parado which bolt right into the holes that the stock roof rack mounted to. I've attached some photos of the feet.

IMG_2095.JPG

IMG_2096.JPG

IMG_2097.JPG

Hey man sorry for the late response. I didn't get a track to rivet into the roof with my order, I used the 6 mounting feet for the parado which bolt right into the holes that the stock roof rack mounted to. I've attached some photos of the feet.

View attachment 1492799

View attachment 1492800

View attachment 1492801
Excellent! I think there are some wires crossed on their website, and unfortunately, the salesperson I talked to at Rhino didn't catch it either. I knew something was up when the box for the tracks said Pajero on it. Well, at least I get to return a bunch of stuff and buy a little more. Thanks for replying, it'll make convincing the dealer that the website is wrong a little easier. Cheers!

Excellent! I think there are some wires crossed on their website, and unfortunately, the salesperson I talked to at Rhino didn't catch it either. I knew something was up when the box for the tracks said Pajero on it. Well, at least I get to return a bunch of stuff and buy a little more. Thanks for replying, it'll make convincing the dealer that the website is wrong a little easier. Cheers!
No worries! Good luck with the install. Let me know if you have any other questions on it.

@Spacegranger3
Also digging up old news, but how'd your RR instal go in the end? Yeah no tracks for Prado/GX, just towers or backbone (not known available 2+ years ago, but is confirmed now) for platform or crossbars.

It’s been 3 years and 3 kids since I’ve posted on this thread. It’s time for some updates. My 2005 GX470 now has 144k miles, and is the best vehicle I’ve ever owned. The current list of mods I’m over the years:

-Iron Man Foam Cell Pro suspension
-265/70r17 General Grabber AT2s
-Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform
-Mountain Passes off road sleeping platform
-Opor sliders
-Factory nav to non nav and 9” android conversion
-Spidertraxx 1.25” spacers
-Apex overland recovery points

Looking to upgrade tires soon as my Grabbers have 55k miles on them, on the fence between 285/70r17 or 255/75r17.

6F139EE2-0531-4D77-8E8E-DE7A78E97706.jpeg

45898657-CE1E-4E32-8E97-7CC0A19E206E.jpeg

4690047E-7E7D-4F43-8FF7-AD38EF38A630.jpeg

ED965D91-FE65-417E-A803-BF013D657F50.jpeg

Last edited:
It’s been 3 years and 3 kids since I’ve posted on this thread. It’s time for some updates. My 2005 GX470 now has 144k miles, and is the best vehicle I’ve ever owned. The current list of mods I’m over the years:

-Iron Man Foam Cell Pro suspension
-265/70r17 General Grabber AT2s
-Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform
-Mountain Passes off road sleeping platform
-Opor sliders
-Factory nav to non nav and 9” android conversion
-Spidertraxx 1.25” spacers
-Apex overland recovery points

Looking to upgrade tires soon as my Grabbers have 55k miles on them, on the fence between 285/70r17 or 255/75r17.

View attachment 2296291

View attachment 2296304

View attachment 2296305

View attachment 2296306
Nice! 🤘😈🤘
@mtwilly87
I'm eyeing that suspension. Which spring did you go with: comfort, performance, or consistent rate?

Im running same color (but 07 and sport) same tire (size), same rhino platform ( but backbone vs towers), same sliders, and considering same bumper trim mod. Your pix give me a damn good concept of outcome for FCP and skin trim. 🤘👍🤓

A few questions though ...
How much lift did you ultimately gain? Which coil conversion kit did you use?
Did you see an increase in articulation? Did you do a sway bar link extension?

The head unit looks factory, is it the one from aliexpress/china? What are your impressions?

Nice! 🤘😈🤘
@mtwilly87
I'm eyeing that suspension. Which spring did you go with: comfort, performance, or consistent rate?

Im running same color (but 07 and sport) same tire (size), same rhino platform ( but backbone vs towers), same sliders, and considering same bumper trim mod. Your pix give me a damn good concept of outcome for FCP and skin trim. 🤘👍🤓

A few questions though ...
How much lift did you ultimately gain? Which coil conversion kit did you use?
Did you see an increase in articulation? Did you do a sway bar link extension?
Nice! I love the rhino rack platform, I’ve had it for over 4 years now, and it has taken some abuse. I have the performance springs, I would describe them as comfortably firm and gained 2.5” of lift. I used the metal tech coil conversion kit. I did see an increase in articulation for sure. I am not running a sway bar link extension at this time. I hope to add that and UCAs down the road. 👍
The head unit looks factory, is it the one from aliexpress/china? What are your impressions?

Yes it is the one from Aliexpress, I believe the brand of this one is Micronavi. I have had the head unit in for over a year now, and have been very pleased. I am sure the quality of a brand such as Pioneer or Kenwood is better, but for $270 I’ve been impressed. Zero issues to report, and my steering wheel controls function correctly. I bought a dongle and run apple car play most of the time or just the radio. I bought the 8 core with the most ram, and don’t have it loaded up with a bunch of apps so it is very smooth.

> to non nav and 9” android conversion

Would love to know more about this.
There’s a detailed guide on the Facebook group GXOR and I believe someone posted it here as well. You essentially have to track down your same year hvac controls for the non navigation GX, the model # can vary by year, so it may take some time to locate. You then have to extend some wiring from the passenger footwell to the center dash, and then you can run a double din head unit of your choice. It’s involved, but not terrible.

Nice! I love the rhino rack platform, I’ve had it for over 4 years now, and it has taken some abuse. I have the performance springs, I would describe them as comfortably firm and gained 2.5” of lift. I used the metal tech coil conversion kit. I did see an increase in articulation for sure. I am not running a sway bar link extension at this time. I hope to add that and UCAs down the road. 👍

Did you set for 2.5 front? did you go for equal lift all around or a scosh more front to level the rake? Cool report, I was narrowed to the performance too, suspecting a tad firmer as DD put perfect wheeling and when loaded for multi-day trips or long-haul road trips...
thanks for the report.. do you have pix or a build thread with more shots?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom