CO: Getting a 2019 GX460 L/Certified by a Lexus dealer? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi folks, I'm purchasing a 2019 GX460 (1-owner, 19k miles, clean no accident carfax, all dealer maintenance) used from a BMW dealer here in Denver. The BMW dealer can't certify the car but said that a Lexus dealer should be able to do that. I'm wondering if anyone here has gone through this process before in Denver or nearby areas, or if there are any mud members who can point me to a good dealership for Lexus certification. Would appreciate that very much. Thanks all!

Forgive my ignorance, but does it cost to get your vehicle certified? If so, aren't there specific steps ALL dealers go through to ensure certification?
I just missed being able to do that by about a year when I purchased mine way back when.

I wasn't aware that "certification" was a service that a dealership would provide for a car that they were not selling - at any price. You might could ask them to perform the same inspection that is performed during the "certification" process, and replace anything that they would normally do, but I don't think it would then come with any kind of warranty that one usually associated with a "Lexus Dealer Certified Used Car". But then again, I've never tried...

I am curious. What result are you trying to obtain? Is this just to have the vehicle inspected?

Is your goal to get the Lexus CPO warranty? I only looked for my 2019 at Lexus dealers because I assumed that had to be baked into the sale price at a Lexus dealer.

From what I understand, CPO is mostly an extended warranty thing. When I was negotiating w/ the Lexus dealer on a used GX the dealer offered to knock $1,000 off if I was willing to take it without the certification.

From what I understand, CPO is mostly an extended warranty thing. When I was negotiating w/ the Lexus dealer on a used GX the dealer offered to knock $1,000 off if I was willing to take it without the certification.
Interesting. I bought my 2019 in March as a CPO. In addition to two years of warranty on top of factory balance, the CPO is 2 years of free maintenance (I already used it to get an alignment and tire rotation, so it covers "wear" items beyond what the warranty covers). They tried to sell me the Lexus Silver/Gold/Platinum extended warranties on top of that, to which I declined.

OP, You can definitely buy a Lexus/Toyota extended warranty, regardless of CPO status. I did on my GX470 that was 10 years old when I bought it. The extended warranty eligibility goes strictly by mileage.

Reactions: r2m
IOP, You can definitely buy a Lexus/Toyota extended warranty, regardless of CPO status. I did on my GX470 that was 10 years old when I bought it. The extended warranty eligibility goes strictly by mileage.
Is it actually by Toyota/Lexus?? Since you did it on your GX470, I assume there's no age limit, but is there a mileage limit?
I'd be very interested in getting one. Just in case of a valley leak, or any other $$$$ issue not related to my mods.
Do you have a website link or??

Is it actually by Toyota/Lexus?? Since you did it on your GX470, I assume there's no age limit, but is there a mileage limit?
I'd be very interested in getting one. Just in case of a valley leak, or any other $$$$ issue not related to my mods.
Do you have a website link or??
This was what I had purchased (negotiated sale price down because I bought it) when I bought my 2008 GX470 from a Toyota dealer in 2017.

It was through Toyota Financial. Looks like I misspoke though. The warranty is only available at the time of purchase.

Used Toyota vehicle within current plus 9 model
years old and up to 150,000 total vehicle miles.
See your dealer for eligibility requirements on non-
Toyota vehicles. Used Vehicle plans are available
through your Toyota dealer only at the time of used
vehicle purchase or lease.

Reactions: r2m
Interesting. I bought my 2019 in March as a CPO. In addition to two years of warranty on top of factory balance, the CPO is 2 years of free maintenance (I already used it to get an alignment and tire rotation, so it covers "wear" items beyond what the warranty covers). They tried to sell me the Lexus Silver/Gold/Platinum extended warranties on top of that, to which I declined.

OP, You can definitely buy a Lexus/Toyota extended warranty, regardless of CPO status. I did on my GX470 that was 10 years old when I bought it. The extended warranty eligibility goes strictly by mileage.
Yes, I should add that the CPO designation also included the next 4 basic maintenance services. I initially thought that meant 4 oil changes. It turned out that the service intervals are every 5,000 miles, but oil changes only every 10,000 miles. So, I'll only be getting two oil changes. The other maintenance intervals was just inspections. Oil changes are easy enough that I'm ok doing those myself. I went for CPO mostly for added peace of mind. My warranty expires next August. I have just over 60,000 mi - no issue with any coolant leaking, but every now and then I read it about it. If it does happen I hope it happens before August.

My goal is to get the CPO warranty, and based on what Schomp bmw told me, the Lexus dealer would charge me an inspection fee and some additional higher amount for the CPO. So I suppose getting the vehicle L/Certified is like buying an extended warranty plus a maintenance plan. I haven’t had the time to chat with a Lexus dealer since purchasing my used 2019 GX460 this past Friday but I will look into it and respond with what I find.

Oh and I did try to buy a darned CPO GX460 at the Lexus dealer in Colorado Springs in the first place but the two I was interested in both sold: one while we were about to start the purchase paperwork at the dealership, and the other after the dealer asked us to come in and take a look. So I said “no thanks” to the Lexus dealer and bought the next best GX460 that was for sale in and around the Denver area. In the end I paid nearly the same price that I would have for the CPO GX but I didn’t have to deal with the flakiness at Lexus of Co Springs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom