CO and 285 Tires (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Will a stock 80 with 285 tires make it on many of the Summit County Colorado above treeline trails? Will I have trouble with the hitch getting hung up? I use to run those trails with a Xcab Toyota with stock 235 tires. THe Hilux had more rear ground clearance then the 80 does.
kurt

Yes, the hitch will get caught up. Get a supercharger, and you will have no problems above the treeline. :) :)

The faster I go the less I will get stuck??
Will adding a TRD sticker help any :D

kurt

Is it safe to add an SC to any engine? Mine has about 96K miles, and I was wondering if it would be ok to add. Should I check anything out on it first?

I don't think it would be too smart to put it on my motor with 225k mi.
So if going fast to keep from getting hung up on the receiver, I better stop at Christo's shop and get a t-case skid plate to save my new new new t-case :D
kurt

>> Should I check anything out on it first? <<

wob,
We've covered this pretty good in other posts so for some additional information you can search here and on Keep's SOR archives.

Briefly (and I'm certain that I'm missing something)
* Make sure your engine is currently at 100%
(compression, valve adj, wires, timing, etc.)
* Make sure your cooling system is at 100%
* Have your injectors balanced (important with high mileage installs)

-B-

Land...Just got back from CO and did a couple trails above the treeline. I have 285 BFG MT's but I also have a lift. After you hit the hitch a few times, you get used to it. You shouldn't have a problem. A SC would be nice. 11,000 feet with a 6% grade equals about 35mph.

You know, it's not that hard to take the reciever off...6 bolts! Then all you drag is the spare, but that's easy to remove too. You'd better keep that so you throw it on top of your rig but soon realize that it's NFG up there so you get an ARB rack...but that's not perfect either so a rear bumper with carrier needs to be added. Which makes the front look a little silly and the rig is unbalanced as well so maybe a front bull-bar. With a winch (since you're there). With all the weight your rig will look like a low-rider so you need the OME lift. So you get bigger tires to fill out the expanded fender clearance. At which point your rig is dog slow so you need the SC...

So the answer is not if you CAN do it, but if you can AFFORD to do it. Shoot, it's costing me thousands just to take my 6-bolt hitch off!

I use my Reciever as a kind of departure skid plate. I let down easily on the rocks til it touches and then drag off. I protects the spare tire and the rear bumper ends. :D

I just tool the 6 bolt hitch off and painting it now. Using the rest of the POR15 The bolts are no good are 8.8 grade bolts strong enough?
kurt

All my hard work of sandblasting and grinding off rust and painting with POR15 went down the drain. I forgot to use Marine Clean after blasting :'( Well at least it look good now. The receiver must be Made In USA as it is the only solid rust covered part of the 80. :D Much like my HiLux mini truck, the bed rusted away and the cab had bare metal exposed and wouldn't rust. From what I read, the box was made in N.America somewhere.
kurt

[quote author=landtoy80 link=board=2;threadid=4010;start=0#msg29997 date=1059834185]
From what I read, the box was made in N.America somewhere.
kurt
[/quote]

Yup, TABC (Toyota Auto Body Corp), in beautiful southern California.

It looks like we might go to CO this weekend for a week.
I got a LT285/75R/16 spare, now I have no ground clearance. Will the roof hold the heavy tire? It has the stock roof rack, do I tie the tire down between the cross member or on top of the cross member?
Should I keep the hitch on or leave it at home? If I remove it how strong is the stock bumper? Will it hold up to hitting the ground?
kurt

Kurt,
If you're really woried about the hitch dragging, then contrary to what you'd think, leave it on to use as a skid plate.

Yes, a blower would help - it would help you dig a trench dragging the hitch all the way up. :flipoff2: :D

Hey Kurt,

What's the Bazooka for? ::)

Kurt,
That looks like a Bangalore Torpedo. I don't want to know what you're wheeling through!

I'm lookin' for some defelade as we speek :eek:

I looked on the USFS web site for Dillon Resevoir and one of the camp grounds was closed do to bear problems. I don't want to have a bear problem.
kurt
Cdan it looked like you had a bare problem on your trip per Junks pic.

There aint no laws about mounting a spud gun to the top of yer vehicle is there? :D

[quote author=landtoy80 link=board=2;threadid=4010;start=msg32356#msg32356 date=1060935243]
There aint no laws about mounting a spud gun to the top of yer vehicle is there? :D
[/quote]

Planning on blowing 3FE's outta your way going up I70?? :flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom