SOLD CO 1995 LHD HDJ80 Diesel 5-speed, A/C, lockers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 80 Series
Here's a left-hand drive HDJ80 I bought in Europe before COVID hit. Has the 24 valve 1HD-FT diesel, H151 5-speed manual transmission, front and rear electronic locking differentials, and Air Conditioning. About 226k miles on it. Needs some lovin' to get it optimized, or you could just buy it to swap the diesel drivetrain into your clean US-spec 80.

The Good:
--Left Hand Drive (like "normal" in the USA)
--1HD-FT 24 valve diesel 6 cylinder, 4.2 liter motor (arguably Toyota's best diesel powerplant)
--H151 5-speed manual transmission
--Electronic locking front and rear differentials
--Air Bags
--Anti lock Brakes
--4 wheel discs (with the "larger" rear discs of the later model 80's--requires 16" wheels)
--Motor starts on first revolution every time
--No blow-by evident
--Unique color = code 4M7 (never seen it on a US spec truck, but maybe...)
--Other than what's noted below, there's not much for rust

The Bad:
--Accelerator is stiff (presumably a throttle cable issue since the linkage on the motor works smoothly)
--Shock absorbers are totally shot (like, as in they don't absorb shocks, lol. You'd need to replace them pronto)
--Has some minor to middling collision damage here and there (see photos)
--Cracked windshield will need replaced if your state has inspections for such things
--Torn driver's seat (the others are in decent shape, again, see photos)
--power windows don't work
--Drop down rear tailgate has been damaged and "repaired" at some point and would likely need replaced
--Missing original fender flares
--Handbrake not working
--Has rust perforation behind the left rear wheel arch (there were rags stored in the compartment with the jack)
--Some rust starting around the rear side window rubbers and on the right front fender (where the flare was)

Between the stiff throttle and the shock absorbers, it's probably a "trailer it home" kind of purchase. Until you can sort it all out I can't recommend any long drives with it.

Asking $16,900. Message me if interested. Thanks!

LF quarter view.jpg
LR quarter view.jpg
RR quarter view.jpg
RF quarter view.jpg
L side view.jpg

Last edited:
While I have no horse in this race, personally, I'd throw kudos to @SNLC - he's right.

This seller was clearly trying to pass a POS down-the-line to another person. Just because "$16k doesn't move the needle" for @jmlockwood, doesn't mean for another buyer it wouldn't ruin their life. Most people I know would be devastated (or simply furious) burning $16k.

I read this forum religiously and I find this a helpful warning. Thanks - Spence

We took the trans crossmember out of this truck the other day. Had to chip all this away first.

View attachment 2577316

And you are seriously going to bust my balls for telling/showing the community this Cruiser? 🤷🏼‍♂️🙄

Cheers

100% sure am .. why ..well imagine what a *&^%&% this place would be if every shop on here felt it was their right to get involved with calling out guys who sell stuff to their customers and they feel is a bad deal .. no doubt while billing the same said customer to work on it. It is just not a conflict on interest it is BS to get on your high horse and pretend it is for the community . As I said if you really gave a toss about your customer you would have gotten involved before he bought it not after and not on his behalf when he has no issues ( as he himself stated) . Customer had an option to ask questions, get an inspection etc but was happy with the deal. I am sure you know as well as I do that what some will pay happily others wouldn't touch. Plenty of guys on here bank on it which is why they buy, wreck, sell and make $$$ as they go.

Since you were not part of the deal then it is simply not your deal so you should stay out of it. I think anyone of use that has had the pleasure of working in a cruiser shop over the years have shaken our heads in disgust at stuff we have on the lift and what customers have been sold / drive or in some case dream of. But in no world is it right to get involved in the deals and turn it into a *&%^5 fight cause we want to stroke our own ego and pretend it is for the community. If the Buyer has an issue then let him push it, not your place.

While I have no horse in this race, personally, I'd throw kudos to @SNLC - he's right.

This seller was clearly trying to pass a POS down-the-line to another person. Just because "$16k doesn't move the needle" for @jmlockwood, doesn't mean for another buyer it wouldn't ruin their life. Most people I know would be devastated (or simply furious) burning $16k.

I read this forum religiously and I find this a helpful warning. Thanks - Spence
Maybe look at it from the other side , a clean nice HDJ80 lhd with a 1hdft sells in Europe these days anywhere between 20-35k EURO so what to expect when you can get one here at way less then what a clean one would cost you several thousands miles away . In the end when buying any 25 year old car you never know what you have unless you start taking it apart and there will always be things you don't like , no matter what you payed for it !

There is no crystal ball for sellers or buyers so we might be better "lucky then good" when buying what we want as for any bad deal there are no winners on neither site.

I'm just a little confused...

The seller posted what he knew.

The buyer didn't ask many questions.

The truck is not in great shape but was a great deal cheaper than other rigs of this type.

The buyer doesn't seem to have an issue with the seller and acknowledges that he rolled the dice a bit.

Other buyers have not seemed to have the same issues with the seller.

So why is this still a thing?

I'm really not taking sides or trying to be a dick, but am actually curious how or if this could be resolved?

Let dead dogs die !!!!!!

I'm just a little confused...

The seller posted what he knew.

The buyer didn't ask many questions.

The truck is not in great shape but was a great deal cheaper than other rigs of this type.

The buyer doesn't seem to have an issue with the seller and acknowledges that he rolled the dice a bit.

Other buyers have not seemed to have the same issues with the seller.

So why is this still a thing?

I'm really not taking sides or trying to be a dick, but am actually curious how or if this could be resolved?

So you would be ok with this? Took a half-hour of chipping away clay to get the trans crossmember out. 🙄

985FE8C5-0587-47A5-B970-3A0BE000456A.jpeg
074DFD9E-E530-4ADC-ACD9-4A763E9D636B.jpeg
4CB1B006-81CF-4835-9267-437952F8E0A3.jpeg
BF6364E3-2420-4048-8F74-FF0A613756FF.jpeg

It’s also puked over a quart of oil out of it the since it’s been parked in this spot for a month. It’s been puking a lot longer than that though.

B65F79EA-A111-445F-807D-97993087FC9D.jpeg

And come on @joekatana you import a lot of trucks. Not only is this one wasted you know well the law states these must be clean before imported.

Did the OP share these pics in his ad?? He is all over the forum with 10,000 word posts about the legality of importing yet he blatantly ignored a law which has to do with keeping invasive species out of our country. He couldn’t even bother himself paying somebody to clean this truck before the flip. It still reeks like piss and mold even after gutting the interior.

Did I mention the head is toast? That’s $3500 just in parts.

This is mud, this isn’t eBay or friggin BaT. If some of you think this was a good buy, right on. I work on Cruisers for a living and this was not a good buy or a good Cruiser. It’s a parts truck with not a lot of good parts.

Cheers

Amen @SNLC 🙌 You can barely see the u-joint.

We should probably let this thread die at this point. But good that everyone's aware -- ask for photos on do your diligence before buying a truck.

GL to all! - Spence

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom