BaT CO: 1987 BJ75 Troop Carrier with 59k orig. miles. (1 Viewer)

Bring-a-Trailer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 70 Series
Mileage
Color
white
Outside Link
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1987-toyota-landcruiser-bj75-troop-carrier/
I've had a blast owning this truck, and will be sad to see it go, but I have found another Landcruiser that I simply must have. Many of you already know this truck, I've documented my time with it here:

You'll find the BaT listing here:

It's a real time capsule; a survivor, no doubt about it. 59k original miles, no rust other than some light surface bits on the chassis (none on the body that I can find). A few small dings and scratches on the original paint, but only enough to give it an honest patina and it polishes up well. Original interior looks fantastic. Original 3B motor runs like clockwork. Everything works on this car AFAIK--just get in it and drive. It really is that nice.

Here's a photo, there's a whole bunch more at BaT:

a front left corner.jpg

A few comments if I may....

To put the price in perspective, consider for a moment how likely it would be to find a 1987 FJ60 here in the USA with only 50-something thousand original miles and in similar condition to this truck. Never repainted, no rust, runs and drives perfectly--needs nothing. How many like that can there actually be? Not many, that's for sure. If you could find one, it would have a 2F, wouldn't it? Reliable, but hardly a modern or powerful motor. How much would a car like that be worth? There are probably 20 completed auctions on BaT for nice FJ60's at over $50k, some as high as $80k. Now consider that there were far fewer Troopies sold in Europe than FJ60's in the USA. It follows that finding one in this kind of condition would be even more rare than the FJ60 example. I don't see that the price this one got is out of line at all. A car is only original once, after all. It might not be what some of you would choose to spend your money on, and that's totally understandable--different strokes for different folks--but there are people out there who value condition, rarity and originality, and it shows in auction results.

Which you are of course free to do (and GLWA if you do, BTW), but that's not comparing apples to apples. The Troopy is 10 years older, with less than half the miles, and is all original including paint.

Believe me, if they were there, I'd be very interested in finding them. I'm sorry to report that France isn't running thick with low miles, rust-free 70-series Landcruisers. While 70-series were sold in relatively large numbers in the 80's and 90's, most all of them were short wheelbase, LJ models, with a few short and mid wheelbase B models thrown in, and later a few with PZJ's and HZJ's. Troopies and pickups were sold in much, much lower numbers, and the majority of the very few that show up these days are, as one might expect, high miles, rusty, and beat, just like old Landcruisers everywhere.

Nor I with mine, it too runs great. It's never let me down. Look, I understand that the 3B is not a modern motor--no turbo, no common rail, no direct injection, even. It's an anachronism. A 60mph motor in an 80mph world. Toyota and other manufacturers have developed much nicer motors in the 34 years since this one's been around. But in 1987, none of those uber-diesels were available. Australia got the 2H and Europe got the 3B in those days. Both workhorses, neither a thoroughbred. Either will do what it was engineered to do, and if properly maintained should outlive all of us.
I realize you’re simply trying to strike a civil tone which is admirable but you don’t owe anyone an explanation.

I dont think anyone was directing "saltyness" towards Gilmorneau.......after all- i think everyone here would agree he is on the better end of that deal by say $"xx,xxxx "
Sure, some folks meant no harm but let’s be honest some others’ tone came across as very much salty. I’m of the opinion: “don’t hate, congratulate”. After all, a rising tide lifts all ships.

The moral of this story is it’s time stock up on 70 series rigs because their moment is upon us and they’re only going to continue to increase in value.

I realize you’re simply trying to strike a civil tone which is admirable but you don’t owe anyone an explanation.
But the fact there was an explanation is indicative of the $40k guilt/ profit factor.... imho....i see it as a simple parlay into an even cleaner Troopy with a 1hdt or 1fz-t for $30k and an extra $36k diesel or gas money. kicking the 3b to the curb is always a wise move.....while its fine for an empty troopy- its a 100hp and torque shy once you load it up.

Last edited:
Again, if the buyer is happy, rather it’s a 3B or a Briggs and Stratton, that’s really all that matters. In my opinion, if you feel like the seller is misrepresenting the vehicle or otherwise trying to take advantage of a potential buyer, then yes by all means speak up. I don’t believe that was remotely the case with this vehicle. I for one am delighted to see low mileage Land Cruisers bringing good money on BAT.

Again, if the buyer is happy, rather it’s a 3B or a Briggs and Stratton, that’s really all that matters. In my opinion, if you feel like the seller is misrepresenting the vehicle or otherwise trying to take advantage of a potential buyer, then yes by all means speak up. I don’t believe that was remotely the case with this vehicle. I for one am delighted to see low mileage Land Cruisers bringing good money on BAT.
Couldn't agree with you more. There's nothing wrong with turning a profit so long as its honest. This is textbook arbitrage and no different than buying stock low and selling it high.

The seller was clearly, A) in the right place at the right time to score this vehicle for so much below market, B) knowledgable of the vehicle and its potential value, C) willing to take a risk that the vehicle might not be worth what he thinks it is, and D) put in the time and effort to import it, address any issues, market it for sale, etc.

All of the above things don't just happen out of nowhere ... it takes lots of time and lots of effort to find oneself in a position to capitalize such as this. It takes expertise, and perhaps a sprinkling of luck. If anyone is mad it's only because it was Gilmorneau who came up and not them.

End of story.

In case you didn’t know, a lot of buyers on BAT are custom car, hot rod, super car, classic dealerships. They got lots of six plus figure vehicles on their lots or showrooms. They have lots of cash to toss around. They will buy anything that will bring somebody into their place of business. They also often have an established client base who buys cars from them.

Cheers

The problem with believing that your 7x series is worth more due to this sale IS THAT THE 7x series are still in production.

a 2021 troopie is the same as this truck with a different front clip with a couple updates over time (door side impact bars etc).
The chassis has coils, but the cowl back fits a 1985 frame (and not hard for wide to narrow nose conversion as I did 6 years ago, 1987 body on 2011 chassis)

Ian is right, this will be a showroom draw for other vehicles.

When 7x "want to be owners" realize those trucks should be the serviceable style they can use they won't pay that much for other imports.

You can't buy 25 or 40 or 45 or 55 or 60 or even most 80 parts these days. You can still get 99.5% of 70 series body/chassis parts if you know how to interchange production runs.

The problem with believing that your 7x series is worth more due to this sale IS THAT THE 7x series are still in production.

a 2021 troopie is the same as this truck with a different front clip with a couple updates over time (door side impact bars etc).
The chassis has coils, but the cowl back fits a 1985 frame (and not hard for wide to narrow nose conversion as I did 6 years ago, 1987 body on 2011 chassis)

When 7x "want to be owners" realize those trucks should be the serviceable style they can use they won't pay that much for other imports.

You can't buy 25 or 40 or 45 or 55 or 60 or even most 80 parts these days. You can still get 99.5% of 70 series body/chassis parts if you know how to interchange production runs.
Hmmm… do the new, safer doors bolt right up?

But the fact there was an explanation is indicative of the $40k guilt/ profit factor.... imho....i see it as a simple parlay into an even cleaner Troopy with a 1hdt or 1fz-t for $30k and an extra $36k diesel or gas money. kicking the 3b to the curb is always a wise move.....while its fine for an empty troopy- its a 100hp and torque shy once you load it up.
I remember the hate you spewed on my "thing", and yet, silly money on the sale and an awesome experience. I do love this forum and all of the members, shouldn't we applaud the sale as it ensures our respective values? Fire off BugsNBikes, what did I do wrong here?

thumbnail_IMG_6685.jpg

Noticed a bunch of chatter here since last I looked, so thought I'd update.

for some reason I'm betting this sale doesn't end up going thru.....
Sale went thru. Buyer paid almost immediately, but it took him a while to arrange transport.

.i see it as a simple parlay into an even cleaner Troopy with a 1hdt or 1fz-t for $30k and an extra $36k diesel or gas money

Well, yes, I'll be buying another Landcruiser with the proceeds of this sale, but that was the plan all along. And I tip my hat to you if you can find a cleaner Troopy than this one for only $30k.

a lot of buyers on BAT are custom car, hot rod, super car, classic dealerships. They got lots of six plus figure vehicles on their lots or showrooms. They have lots of cash to toss around. They will buy anything that will bring somebody into their place of business.

This could all be true AFAIK--my experience with BaT is limited to this one sale. But in this case, the buyer is not a dealer, nor is he affiliated with one.

The buyer has achieved some measure of success in the equipment manufacturing business, and this will presumably be added to his private collection.

Congrats on the sale @gilmorneau!

Thanks! Owning this Landcruiser, listing it on BaT, and dealing with the buyer have all been a pleasure!

I remember the hate you spewed on my "thing", and yet, silly money on the sale and an awesome experience. I do love this forum and all of the members, shouldn't we applaud the sale as it ensures our respective values? Fire off BugsNBikes, what did I do wrong here?

View attachment 2722020
Flat out gorgeous rig. I bought two rigs on BaT and paid more than fair prices for but I won. That’s the deal. You get fair market value. Rather pay $10k less for both but someone else helped set the value by bidding. Not sure how anyone can criticize the values set on an auction site because takes two to tango. Not like ONE guy paid too much. At least two thought that the previous bid was the value.

Noticed a bunch of chatter here since last I looked, so thought I'd update.

Sale went thru. Buyer paid almost immediately, but it took him a while to arrange transport.

Well, yes, I'll be buying another Landcruiser with the proceeds of this sale, but that was the plan all along. And I tip my hat to you if you can find a cleaner Troopy than this one for only $30k.

This could all be true AFAIK--my experience with BaT is limited to this one sale. But in this case, the buyer is not a dealer, nor is he affiliated with one.

The buyer has achieved some measure of success in the equipment manufacturing business, and this will presumably be added to his private collection.

Thanks! Owning this Landcruiser, listing it on BaT, and dealing with the buyer have all been a pleasure!
I would have simply ignored all of the background chatter. 😊

interesting ... anyone else have thoughts/opinions on this?
I've run California ULSD diesel in two 3Bs, 1HD-T and OM617 (mercedes 300D turbo diesel) for twelve years without any issues on my injector pumps.

Best recourse against organic acid corrosion from sulferic acid in ULSD is oil changes as frequently as possible. I do every 3k.

I've run California ULSD diesel in two 3Bs, 1HD-T and OM617 (mercedes 300D turbo diesel) for twelve years without any issues on my injector pumps.

Best recourse against organic acid corrosion from sulferic acid in ULSD is oil changes as frequently as possible. I do every 3k.
Interesting! Do you run synthetic or organic oil? Are you able to explain why frequent oil changes make such a big difference in regard to fuel system health when running on ULSD? I wouldn’t have thought of a connection between engine lubrication and engine fueling but then again I’m relatively new to diesel engines.

Interesting! Do you run synthetic or organic oil? Are you able to explain why frequent oil changes make such a big difference in regard to fuel system health when running on ULSD? I wouldn’t have thought of a connection between engine lubrication and engine fueling but then again I’m relatively new to diesel engines.
I run organic 15W40.

I might have overstated the connection between frequent oil changes and and fuel system health. My general philosophy is to change oil as frequently as possible for the obvious : as oil ages, it becomes less effective at reducing friction. With greater friction comes greater heat and in turn component wear. Even though the IP is lubed via the fuel, a cooler running engine generally will impact the fuel delivery system that is bolted directly to the block.

The story with ULSD is somewhat complicated with regards to chemical impact on the fuel system. The sulphur content in days of old helped increase lubricity in the IP, but the sulfuric acid created in combustion corroded surfaces the exhaust gases came into contact with. Fuel additives or even a very tiny mix of bio diesel exceed the lubricity traditionally provided by sulphur in less refined fuel.

When I am not running bio, I add about a cup of lucas fuel additive each tank. I'd be curious to hear what others have done.

Cheers
A

P.S. An interesting, write up on the topic. Obviously written by a additive vendor, so take with a grain of salt. Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD): the Good, the Bad, and the Rusty - https://www.axi-international.com/ultra-low-sulfur-diesel-ulsd/

I run organic 15W40.

I might have overstated the connection between frequent oil changes and and fuel system health. My general philosophy is to change oil as frequently as possible for the obvious : as oil ages, it becomes less effective at reducing friction. With greater friction comes greater heat and in turn component wear. Even though the IP is lubed via the fuel, a cooler running engine generally will impact the fuel delivery system that is bolted directly to the block.

The story with ULSD is somewhat complicated with regards to chemical impact on the fuel system. The sulphur content in days of old helped increase lubricity in the IP, but the sulfuric acid created in combustion corroded surfaces the exhaust gases came into contact with. Fuel additives or even a very tiny mix of bio diesel exceed the lubricity traditionally provided by sulphur in less refined fuel.

When I am not running bio, I add about a cup of lucas fuel additive each tank. I'd be curious to hear what others have done.

Cheers
A

P.S. An interesting, write up on the topic. Obviously written by a additive vendor, so take with a grain of salt. Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD): the Good, the Bad, and the Rusty - https://www.axi-international.com/ultra-low-sulfur-diesel-ulsd/
Interesting topic, how about starting another separate thread in the diesel chat section, lots of folks who could benefit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom