1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cmos chip dell lap top

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by lx450landcruiser, Jul 18, 2005.

1. lx450landcruiser

lx450landcruiser Moderator

I got ahold of a dell inspron 4000 prob a early 2000 year and appernetly it says bad cmos chip. it has a new cmos battery and as far as i know the cmos chip is soddered to the mother board? i dont know much about lap tops but id love to get this one up and running. any suggestions? is this something i might be able to do myself? where to get parts? any advice other then "get a new computer"

thanks
    mike

2. Mikesta

Mikesta Never decruiserfied SILVER Star

the inspiron 4000... you can probably pick up a cmos battery on ebay.

dell has or had walk through replacment parts items.. on their website.

Easy fix if your mechanical... just make sure when your taking the laptop apart... that you dont shock the motherboard or other components.

It will still work with a bad cmos.

cheers
    Mikesta

3. Mikesta

Mikesta Never decruiserfied SILVER Star

4. davegonz

davegonz Keeping it Weird SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    You could also try to obtain a new/used motherboard from www.parts-people.com. I have used these guys in the past and am very satisfied.

5. lx450landcruiser

6. masscrusher

masscrusher

The CMOS chip is one of the most hardy parts of the computer, until an enthusiast decides to flash the BIOS (Basic Input/Output System, it lives in the cmos chip). If that laptop had a bad flash, your best bet is to get a new chip from the bios manufacturer, ie Award, Phoenix, etc. You can check which manufactirer as the chip has a sticker on the top. They always have a sticker on the top, unless someone got there first.

Since it is a Dell (yuck), go directly to them, as that laptop was manufactured for them, in essence making it an OEM part.

EDIT: I don't know about your Dell, but some Cmos chips are not soldered to the motherboard, they are installed in a socket, for easy in-out.

7. lx450landcruiser

is the c mos chip the middle one? does any one know if its soddered or a socket? i cant tell and dont wanna stay prying on something that wont come off.

8. masscrusher

masscrusher

That chip in the center socket is your cpu. The next large one is the gpu. Can't figure out which one is it, but for the looks of it you will be better off taking it to Dell, as it seems there is nothing else socketed.

Do you have a link to a better pic? (larger)