CMCC: What's Our Wheeling Plan? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm ok with wheeling Anthracite.

Going guided or on our own. I know Gary is guiding one but it sounds like spots are limited.

Maybe we can get general areas to check out.
I am familiar with the trails we've wheeled before, but I don't know the other spots the Keystone guys have explored recently.

I just downloaded the latest maplets of the eastern and western reserves and it looks like there's a few circuits of blues and blacks and plenty of greens on both the Eastern and Western Reserves.
Maybe the Keystone guys can gouge us up and we can hit Anthracite Friday.

I plan to lead blacks both days- they will be more like dark blue/blacks. Might not be a lot of new trails for you guys but we ran them all this past weekend and it was pretty awesome.

How black are the blacks? @shmukster, can you give us a general appropriate rig description for your Thursday run? I.e. tire size, lockers required etc... (80 locked with 2.5" and 33's or SOA 40 on 37's double lockers?)

I'm probably going to have the girls with me... to put it in perspective, I'm fine with taking them up runs like lower school bus at windrock... except for the popping a wheelie part ;)
I just don't want to scare them away with too much tippy tippy.

Yeah, don't need anymore tippy, tippy.

I wouldn't categorize any of the trails I plan to go on as scary. There are a few optional black/reds like the one Chris did last year at the top of Twister. Actually you'll probably familiar with most of the trails I'll be going on.

This past Saturday Chris was the least capable rig in our group- 91 FJ80, no lift, good (new before the day started) sliders, locked in the rear only. He did everything without too much trouble, had to really use his gas pedal to get up twister. Got high centered on Barney Rubble and we had to tug him over some rocks. Had a little trouble on the culvert trail but all minor stuff.

We did look at Renee's Hill on Saturday, in fact Debbie tried to go up in her very capable FJ Cruiser. She made it about 1/3 of the way. Very loose, and of course it had rained the night before, making traction scarce. At the top of the trail are some fairly big rocks firmly implanted with the dirt in front of them dug away pretty badly. My trail ride will go past this one (it's where Charlton had his dash fire) and attempting it will be optional for anyone who wants to do it.

FWIW Crusha and I are hoping to get another day or two in at Anthracite before Coal Mine, specifically to scout the property on the other side of route 125. He's been there once, I haven't. May be a lot of interesting possibilities there. Frankly I am still a novice at this park it ain't like Rausch where I pretty much know most of it like the back of my hand. Stay tuned...........

That Eastern side on the other side of 125 looks promising...
If a couple of us sign up for Gary's run, there's no reason we can't have another group of trucks follow them and even run some of the other trails.

So are we signing up or doing our own thing??

As of 10:20 all black runs are open!?!?

That Saturday thing has never really proven itself at Rausch. To be clear, I have no preference either way.
My only issue with wheeling AOAA on Saturday is the time it takes to drive back in time for the dinner and the raffle. If you aren't concerned about that, then it's a non-issue, but for those that are, it is something to consider. Especially if someone breaks. And, as I recall from last year there was a ridiculous traffic jam on 81 coming down the hill to the exit for Twin Grove. Now, maybe the construction on 81 won't be an issue this year... I'll rely on the locals to provide that information.

The construction on I81 in the Pine Grove area has been completed. There have been spotty lane closures over the last month or so but the general construction is over. I haven't seen any problems in the entire area from Pine Grove (exit 100) past route at Rausch (exit 107) all the way up to the route 901 exit (exit 116) for Anthracite. Mike does post a valid concern regarding getting back to Twin grove in time for the BBQ and raffle. Those who know me can pretty much figure i should be headed out of Anthracite Saturday by 3:30 or so.

Questions for everyone familiar with the trails at Coal Mine. Looks like most of my hardware,(bumpers, sliders, skid plates, lift kit) wont be delivered to me until the first week of July (although my front bumper and winch are being delivered tomorrow). Chances are they wont be installed in time, so I would have to choose between my stock 80 with new 285 tires or my 200 with rock sliders and 33 BFG Mud tires. The 200 will make it any ware, provided that trails are not too narrow, but most likely I wont be able to hang out with the big dogs. First question, do any of you plan on running milder trails? Second, knowing my options, which truck do you think i should bring? Wife said she can stay at the cabin and read a book if I want to catch a ride with someone on a more extreme trail.

Some of the trails are tight for fill size rigs.
I would say the 200. BUT!
I'm a 40 guy so I will let the wagon guys chime in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom