CMCC 2018 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey all,
question: CMCC requires you to have HAM or CB. I have neither. Should I just get a handheld CB (like Midland 75-822) for CMCC?
  • I read the page later in this club house that CLCC uses GMRS or HAM. I have dome MOTO GMRS/FRS radios. Do you actually use them, or is it all HAM nowadays?
  • Will do HAM sooner than later since it seems much better, but not sure that I can swing getting the exam done by 7/11 CMCC (out of town this wkend).
If I do CB, any experience about the handhelds without an external antenna? looks like there are mag mounts cheapest, but would rather not toss $50 or so if the handhelds work o.k. on group trail runs.

You could always come up Friday night.

Unfortunately, my father in law is in ailing health, so every Saturday, and some Sundays, Laura and I have to attend to his needs. I'll make it back to wheeling one day. I hope you all have a great trip!

Damn John it's been a long time!!!!!

Yes it has. Unfortunately, it is going to be longer still. I'll raise a few Miller Lites over that weekend for a virtual cheers with you. I look forward to the pictures, and running narrative I hope you all post up during the event.

Hey all,
question: CMCC requires you to have HAM or CB. I have neither. Should I just get a handheld CB (like Midland 75-822) for CMCC?
  • I read the page later in this club house that CLCC uses GMRS or HAM. I have dome MOTO GMRS/FRS radios. Do you actually use them, or is it all HAM nowadays?
  • Will do HAM sooner than later since it seems much better, but not sure that I can swing getting the exam done by 7/11 CMCC (out of town this wkend).
If I do CB, any experience about the handhelds without an external antenna? looks like there are mag mounts cheapest, but would rather not toss $50 or so if the handhelds work o.k. on group trail runs.

I have some loaner CB Radios you can use for CMCC. No need to buy one.

The club has 6 loaner GMRS radios just for this reason. You are welcome to use one. Most/all of the club members use the GMRS radios on the trail and during convoys to & from events.

We are having a Ham class & test on Saturday in Springfield if you can make it.

The club has 6 loaner GMRS radios just for this reason. You are welcome to use one. Most/all of the club members use the GMRS radios on the trail and during convoys to & from events.

Thanks. I'll take you up on that offer to borrow a CB. More funds to put towards HAM (-:

I am in Charlottesville this weekend. Found the ARRL site. May try to squeeze in the test 7/8 in Gaithersburg.

I just registered....I am not a procrastinator, just deadline oriented :)

Last edited:
Tomorrow, Sunday June 10th, is the deadline to register for CMCC and still get a shirt, sticker and BBQ dinner. After tomorrow you'll have until June 30th to register with no shirt, sticker or dinner included (for the same price)... so get a move on folks! After June 30th you are out of luck - there will be no registrations accepted after that and there will be no walk-ins accepted at the event.

Me and little man will be up sometime Thursday evening in the 60.

@emorth: Is there a way I could pick up one of the CBs tonight, since it looks like you (and missy of the others) aren't going up for Wednesday's drive? I should have thought about this earlier, but planning ahead is not my strong suit! If it's too big of a hassle, I may just try to get one from Amazon next day ship.

Thanks. Don't worry about it, I don't want anyone to jump through any hoops. I just ordered one, should arrive tomorrow. I figure having a CB isn't a bad thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom