CM09 - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What part of the axle housing is that Jon? I don't recognize that tube in the picture.

Dan

A little update.

Yesterday I took off work at noon to go axle shopping at the U-Pull. They had three 1985 trucks, and one 4Runner. All three trucks were 2WD, so the axles wouldn't work. As I predicted, the 4Runner rear axle had been parasitized, missing the diff and axle shafts. In addition, the springs had been taken too. All I needed to do was remove the brake line, disconnect the proportion valve, and remove the parking brake cable. In 15 minutes it was mine.

The next stop was AmToy where I ordered axle seals. The axle housing was a filthy mess, so I stopped by Kaehr Plating. They are going to soak the housing for me to get it cleaned up. Ya, I probably could have done something with some engine cleaner and a pressure washer, but I didn't feel like it. New u-bolts and shock mounts were ordered from Marlin.

A little update.

Yesterday I took off work at noon to go axle shopping at the U-Pull. They had three 1985 trucks, and one 4Runner. All three trucks were 2WD, so the axles wouldn't work. As I predicted, the 4Runner rear axle had been parasitized, missing the diff and axle shafts. In addition, the springs had been taken too. All I needed to do was remove the brake line, disconnect the proportion valve, and remove the parking brake cable. In 15 minutes it was mine.

The next stop was AmToy where I ordered axle seals. The axle housing was a filthy mess, so I stopped by Kaehr Plating. They are going to soak the housing for me to get it cleaned up. Ya, I probably could have done something with some engine cleaner and a pressure washer, but I didn't feel like it. New u-bolts and shock mounts were ordered from Marlin.

Nice Jon. I am heading to the U-Pull on Thursday (open invite if anyone wants to go) to grab the front control arms from the 80 series as well as the gas tank. Mine went from about 26 gallon capacity to about a 19 gallon capacity during my 2 week trek....:rolleyes:

Anyway, good quick work Jon.

Onur, I believe the front control arms are MIA. Seems I looked for those when I checked out the rears for Mike.

Jack is one of my favorite guys and helped me a great deal last year at Cruise Moab.

Not only is Jack's Fj a manual transmission but it is also now turbo charged. I am guessing new driver, stick, and turbo might have had something to do with the momentum on features.

Like me Jack has a strong personality and a passion for our hobby. I expect to see Jack at Cruise Moab for years to come.

I hope all can be forgiven for the sake of our mutual passion for wheelong in Moab! That was an awesome time.

I hope all can be forgiven for the sake of our mutual passion for wheelong in Moab! That was an awesome time.

According to Jack's response in post #20, the personality clash was between one or both of his passengers and the trail leader, Hants. If that is the case then I guess the guys that plan CM10 won't hold that against Jack.

The Rising Sun members that volunteer for Cruise Moab duty sacrifice a LOT for that event. They give up their vacation time. They give up their personal choices for trails. They absorb more than their share of the financial burden for the event. They do this for the wheeling community in general and the Toyota fans that keep coming back every year. Each and every one of us should be going out of our way to make their life easier.

The trail leaders are somewhat responsible for the safety of 30 or 40 people. They are responsible for the conduct of everyone in the group; especially regarding Tread Lightly principles. They are responsible and held accountable for the condition of the trail at the end of the day. They are responsible for getting us started on time and keeping the group moving. If they are a little on the "bossy" side then there is a justifiable reason for their actions and as guests of Rising Sun at Cruise Moab, it is our responsibility to bite our tongues and do what they ask us to do. This applies to all of us as drivers and each of our guests.

At the driver meeting, Greg the CM trail boss, told all of the drivers that he was requiring all trail leaders to stick to the "3 tries and you're out" rule. Hants was waaaaaay lenient on this rule. The strap would have come out many times if Greg Lure was leading Steel Bender on Saturday, I can promise you that. So I really don't see how anyone can legitimately say that Hants was being rude because his actions certainly didn't give any indication of that.

-Mike-

According to Jack's response in post #20, the personality clash was between one or both of his passengers and the trail leader, Hants. If that is the case then I guess the guys that plan CM10 won't hold that against Jack.

The Rising Sun members that volunteer for Cruise Moab duty sacrifice a LOT for that event. They give up their vacation time. They give up their personal choices for trails. They absorb more than their share of the financial burden for the event. They do this for the wheeling community in general and the Toyota fans that keep coming back every year. Each and every one of us should be going out of our way to make their life easier.

The trail leaders are somewhat responsible for the safety of 30 or 40 people. They are responsible for the conduct of everyone in the group; especially regarding Tread Lightly principles. They are responsible and held accountable for the condition of the trail at the end of the day. They are responsible for getting us started on time and keeping the group moving. If they are a little on the "bossy" side then there is a justifiable reason for their actions and as guests of Rising Sun at Cruise Moab, it is our responsibility to bite our tongues and do what they ask us to do. This applies to all of us as drivers and each of our guests.

At the driver meeting, Greg the CM trail boss, told all of the drivers that he was requiring all trail leaders to stick to the "3 tries and you're out" rule. Hants was waaaaaay lenient on this rule. The strap would have come out many times if Greg Lure was leading Steel Bender on Saturday, I can promise you that. So I really don't see how anyone can legitimately say that Hants was being rude because his actions certainly didn't give any indication of that.

-Mike-
Maybe his actions to you were not rude but he certainly came off that way to us. As far as I am concerned it is done and over, why you feel you need to continue is beyond me. One of the reasons I don't join clubs....too many old bitties!!!!! As far as volunteering I felt since this was my 3rd year at the event I needed to give back. I did inspections on Friday morning, and helped set up for dinner Friday night. Again a great event, as it is every year and I suspect it will be for years to come. I look forward to continuing the tradition.

I'll take my part of this conversation off-line with Jack et al. No need to hash it out in public.

As far as I am concerned it is done and over...

Yeah, would you guys knock it off? Or take it off-list if the "needing the last word" syndrome must continue. As a bystander to this thread it IS coming off as pretty petty and I think the "old bitties" moniker is on the money.

Just talked with Jack. We're good. The issue is closed.

The next stop was AmToy where I ordered axle seals. The axle housing was a filthy mess, so I stopped by Kaehr Plating. They are going to soak the housing for me to get it cleaned up.

Kaehr called. Axle is ready for pickup.

Anybody free next weekend (16th or 17th)? I suspect most of you have never seen how a mini-axle comes apart. Not hard, just different from LC's, both full and semi-floaters. No c-clips!

Kaehr called. Axle is ready for pickup.

Anybody free next weekend (16th or 17th)? I suspect most of you have never seen how a mini-axle comes apart. Not hard, just different from LC's, both full and semi-floaters. No c-clips!

:hmm: Maybe. It would be nice to know if I ever find a good deal on a solid front for the 4Runner. Just depends how the weekend/week goes. Been either too tired to too busy to get anything done around the house. Let you know mid next week.

Rudy

Jon - I need to check the calendar, but I should be able to make it. Maybe I can bring the Taco to help you pick it up? I also have that truck bed trailer - that might be even easier. Are they open on the weekend, or would we need to pick it up during the week?

I picked up the axle housing after work today. They don't weigh much. Their clean up took off the paint so I need to paint the housing this weekend. I'm also waiting on the shock mounts from Marlin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom