1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

clutch

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by hammer, Dec 23, 2003.

1. hammer

hammer

ive been experiencing a tired thow-out bering in my clutch, resulting in whirring when the pedal is depressed.
    i know this can continue quite a while, but eventually will need replacment.
    my question is: Am i doing any harm waiting? i cannot afford a major repair now, and am unable to do it myself. I know, though, it would make sense to do a whole clutch, while im at it. I just dont want to find out that doing it later will result in alot more problems.
    thanks

2. cruiser_guy

cruiser_guy

The worst that can happen will be a sudden failure of the clutch rather than the gradual failure that normally preceeds a dead clutch.

3. 73fj

73fj Tho at sumbitch in ayer!

Media:
    Albums:
    my bearing was doing the same thing,and imagine my surprise when i finally took it apart and found there was no more bearings left in the throwout,just the race that used to hold bearings!!!everything still worked though,just made a really evil sound when the clutch was depressed.no damage to anything else,but if i was you i would get under there and tear it apart soonest.

4. lovetoski

lovetoski SILVER Star

I have this same whine on my fj60 for 30,000 miles. I've talked to three honest mechanics, one is a cruiser guy. All agree that it won't fail suddenly. The whine has not gotten louder, so I keep driving...I keep hoping I can do a HF55 install along with a clutch job...but maybe I'll just do the clutch next summer?

5. hammerhead

hammerhead

You might change the oil in your T-case but like daddy always said "if it works don't fix it".