Clutch won't engage... Newly rebuilt engine w/ new clutch (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hello LC'rs

So an update that is sort of good.

Installed the driveshafts and the new Push rod.
  1. Able to run the motor and select 2nd gear and 3rd gear using clutch
  2. Unable to select reverse and 1rst gear without the grind.
Is there a fork or some type of synchro for 1st and reverse? If you recall, when I was assembling the transmission, I heard a disturbing crack. Something tells me I've identified a disturbance in the force, and his name is transmission. Can I get your opinions? Thanks.

Boaf

On a 3 speed 1st is not synchronized.

Try this.
With the engine off, place the transmission into 1st gear.
Push the clutch in, start the Cruiser.
Let the clutch out. If it moves forward it's working properly.
Do the same test in reverse. If it goes backwards it's working properly.

When I had my 3 speed, I would shift from neutral to 2nd or 3rd gear first, then quickly shift into 1st. This would reduce or eliminate the grinding.

As has been mentioned, 1st and reverse in a three speed have no syncros. Shifting directly into those gears from neutral will grind.

OK, I started the car in 1rst with the clutch in and in reverse. Let the clutch out slowly and it worked correctly as you described,both forward and reverse. If I am driving around town and I come to a red light (before I try it) will I be able to shift into 1rst gear from 2nd while driving? And if I need to get into reverse, How does that happen? Not sure about it. If I can go from 1rst to reverse without a grind, hell I'm cool with that but is that standard function? Neutral should be able to go to any gear (with the clutch pushed in) I would think, but what the heck, I'm Land Cruiser confused at this point.

Thanks mtquivr.

Boaf

Update guys and gals,

OK, drove around the block (with some backfires and belches out the carb which needs some tuning) and I was able to shift into 1rst while rolling. Did not try reverse yet. That will be tomorrow. What should I expect? Do we have to turn off the engine to shift it into reverse? Thanks just trying to get my baby running!

Boaf!

From what I recall from a long long time ago. 3 speeds are a little tricky, So, if you're in neutral with the engine running and the clutch out, the tranny internally is spinning. If you push the clutch in, the tranny will be still spinning slightly from centrifugal force from when the clutch was out. So if you try to drop it into 1st it will grind slightly until the spinning stops. then it will go into gear. By going to 2nd or just bumping like you're going to second the synchronizers in 2nd will stop the tranny from spinning. It should not grind going into 1st then. If the tires are rolling then it most likely will grind going into 1st. You must slow down considerably and slightly grind or you stop to get to 1st, and probably will touch 2nd b4 dropping to 1st cleanly.

If you rebuilt the 3 speed you probably noticed 1st gear was a heavy straight cut gear which was probably marred up from grinding.

You're not going to be able to shift into reverse while you're moving.
You need to be almost at idle.

Look up double clutching and practice, practice.

You're not going to be able to shift into reverse while you're moving.
You need to be almost at idle.

Look up double clutching and practice, practice.

Like said here learn to double clutch for sure and blipp'ing the throttle will help to rev match the engine/trans in order to get into gear. I never knew a damn thing about this stuff until the syncros s*** the bed in my DD '04 Civic Si. The double clutching really makes a huge difference with your ability to select a gear.

Thanks mtquivr, I hadn't driven the car in so long I complete forgot about that. On to my next issue and I may start a thread, Milk in the oil. I never re-did the head when I did the block. I hope that is all it is. Will pull and machine, and check for cracks.

Boaf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom