Clutch springs rubbing flywheel bolts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey, anyone see an obvious parts mish-mash here? It's a 2f that had a 3sp and I am swapping to a 4sp, I wasn't going to put a new clutch in but I'm not liking the spring/flywheel bolt contact here. I drove it years back and I don't remember any noise or any clutch issues. The clutch was replaced when the engine was rebuilt less than 5000 miles ago but it has been peacefully resting for a dozen or so years. Thanks
20201005_133329.jpg
20201005_133326.jpg
20201005_133320.jpg
20201005_133303.jpg
20201005_133258_HDR.jpg

Ok, I realize the shop that rebuilt the 2f and put the clutch in put the protruding part of the disc facing the tranny instead of facing the engine. Easy fix, going to reuse the whole clutch setup with the 4sp.

I would show the shop that botched the installation the friction disc spring erosion. They should make good on that at least.

I would show the shop that botched the installation the friction disc spring erosion. They should make good on that at least.

I would trust those springs about as far a I could throw them. I am assuming you mean you'll 're-use' with a NEW clutch disk and pressure plate, new flywheel bolts, and resurfaced flywheel. Maybe even a new TO bearing.;)

There's no easy way to get to back to those parts once your done. :mad:

that would be good if it was done within the last year, but a dozen years ago, probably not.
I'm surprised it was actually working like that, usually when the disc is in backwards, it won't release and is always spinning

that would be good if it was done within the last year, but a dozen years ago, probably not.
I'm surprised it was actually working like that, usually when the disc is in backwards, it won't release and is always spinning
Shoot, when I checked it out again, it was in there the right way and it was rubbing. Now I'm wondering what the heck is going on. I might have to just start with a fresh flywheel on out. That flywheel may have been surfaced one too many times and gotten too thin, putting the clutch disc too close to the flywheel bolts...... I don't know.

unless they used generic bolts for the flywheel, with standard size head versus flywheel bolts with a thinner head????
hard to see in the pic

unless they used generic bolts for the flywheel, with standard size head versus flywheel bolts with a thinner head????
hard to see in the pic
Those look like the correct bolts. The flywheel may be worn past its limit.

A Toyota disc with ceramic weights will have a lower profile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom