Clutch slips or tranny slips? anyone know this trouble (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK I thought I had this problem solved.

74 FJ40, 4 speed. F engine.

A few oil leaks prior to rebuilt clutch had me thinking the clutch was worn out. We pulled the tranny and replaced the clutch with all new clutch parts, throwout bearing etc. Everything was good for a while.

Then when the truck was in the shop for some welding work, a helpful mechanic helped me with a breather hose by capping it. Duh?

As soon as it got warm again that engine started blowing oil out the front timing chain cover all over the passenger side of the engine. Found the problem and stopped the leak etc. But the oil made it to the clutch area through the hole by the flywheel.

Now when warm on a hot day the clutch slips like crazy. Today it was about 75F and the entire family in the FJ40 (4 in 4 seats) it was slipping as bad as it ever has coming up a hill. I had to use 2nd gear in the 4 speed at 25 MPH to keep moving.

Sorry for the long winded prelude...is this the clutch with excess oil that came in when I had the leak through the flywheel? Any way to solve this without pulling clutch again and cleaning?

Or could this be the worn tranny that a buddy mentioned he thinks I have because he has heard some noise from the tranny hump??

thanks

Aaron

sounds likeslipping clutch...oil probably, perhaps leaking out fo the front of the tranny

The only way you have tranny slip is in an automatic. A manual is direct unless you have a gear ground off but then it would just slip all the time not whenever. Once your clutch disc gets oil on it, it is pretty much done for. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but really there is no way to get the clutch clean without taking it out.

Check your slave cylinder adjustment and bleed any air that may be in the system. It may be wishful thinking, but it's not uncommon for a clutch to be adjusted so tight that it slips. Drive it around until it's slipping and see if you can wiggle the clutch fork. If it's tight, then try loosening it. You can take the inspection cover off and look inside to see if the clutch and pressure plate are oily. Another last ditch effort would be to spray the clutch off with some brake cleaner (with the clutch pedal depressed).

Wasn't there a F1 race where someone came into the pits with a slipping clutch and the crew poured Coke on it and he went on to win the race? Maybe it was more a function of cooling the clutch rather than the sugar and phosphoric acid....

thanks guys

thanks guys.

I will try these ideas. I may have to replace the clutch disk due to scoring?

thanks

Aaron

burnt03 said:
How can I check to see if my clutch is slipping? The cruiser sure does seem gutless going up hills and the compression is reasonable

4th gear clutch in
rolling at 15-20mph
rev engine to 1500-2000 rpm
dump clutch

one of two things will happen.
the good: engine will instanty bog

the bad:
engine will slow, but not bog. depending how bad it is will vary this.
this is easier to feel, than read.

you should be able to clearly feel/ hear what's happening

I was about to suggest rear main also. Did you replace while you did the clutch? Mine was leaky and would "shudder" in reverse a low idle, felt like the rear end was hopping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom