Clutch Slave Master Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
'83 FJ60 - I ordered a slave cylinder return spring because mine was missing. So I hooked it up and it drew the slave cylinder rod back into the cylinder like it should I'm assuming. Then when I got it and pushed the clutch the pedel when to the floor and I had to pump it twice to push the rod out far enough to engage the clutch. So I said heck with the spring and took it off. Now everything is back to the way it was and I have an extra stiff clutch pedal, like it takes twice the force to push in the clutch. What could I have done?

You may need to bleed and adjust the clutch. Did you pull your lower cover and have someone push the clutch while you watched? With or without the spring. That way you can get a better idea whats going on.

The spring is not to remove the tension from the release bearing , it is to keep a slight pressure on the bearing to the pressure plate release fingers.

This is on the Models of cars i work on.

YOU MIGHT HAVE IT BACK WARDS.. and it is not really required. or i have seen many missing.

VT

Edit : Mr Tony has a point also , Below , But !! The later Versions of Clutch cars i do , 2007 was last weeks clutch job ( Cuz owner can't really drive a stick car)
has spring inside the slave cyl to make pressure to make the release brg always slightly have force against the diaphragm pressure plate.

VT

Last edited:
The spring should NOT hold the bearing against the pressure plate fingers, this will wear out the bearing prematurely. The fork should be adjusted so it is just off the fingers. Without the spring you can't do this.

x2 on the post from Benw4x4, doesn't sound like it is bled or adjusted properly to begin with. Trust your FSM, the spring is there for a very good reason.

Tony

No springs on the later models. (4/85 - on).

Dynosoar:zilla:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom