Clutch Slave/Master Cylinder (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everybody. I have a '72 FJ40 and my clutch pedal started feeling really spongy and after a while it wouldn't let me shift any gears. Somebody told me it was the slave cylinder so I replaced it. But it still is doing the same thing, I can get a couple of shifts out of it and then stops working. I thought maybe I didn't bleed it right but took it to a shop and had them do it. Still nothing. I'm thinking that its the Master cylinder now. Just curious if that sounds right? I don't know to much about how to fix all this stuff but have decided its time to learn(plus getting sick of paying out the a$$). Plus I need all of you guy's expertise. I leave for Moab on Wed.

I had the same problem, wound up replacing both units, now I have a clutch that works properly. The whole hydralic clutch set up is pretty simple, when you depress your clutch pedal, the master cylinder forces fluid down to the slave cylinder(piston) and forces it to move the clutch fork. If you already replaced the slave, and properly bled the system, the only other thing it could be is the master. Ohhhh, no their goes tokyo, Godzilla

Yeah thats what I thought... So looks like tonite i'll be replacing the master cylinder. Thanks for the help.

I had the same problem, wound up replacing both units, now I have a clutch that works properly. The whole hydralic clutch set up is pretty simple, when you depress your clutch pedal, the master cylinder forces fluid down to the slave cylinder(piston) and forces it to move the clutch fork. If you already replaced the slave, and properly bled the system, the only other thing it could be is the master. Ohhhh, no their goes tokyo, Godzilla

How do you properly bleed the clutch???

Bleeding a clutch couldn't be easier. Fill the master, put a hose on the slave bleed valve into a jar with a little fluid in it, crack open the bleed valve and watch until no more air bubbles come out the hose. Make sure to keep the master reservoir topped off during this process. Done. It's called gravity bleeding.

I can get a couple of shifts out of it and then stops working.

Remember, it is entirely possible to drive a LandCruiser without any clutch at all.
I've done it for weeks at a time waiting for parts to come.
Sure, it's easier with a working clutch, but don't feel that you're stranded if the clutch goes out.
Clutch masters and slaves are usually rebuilt or replaced at the same time. A new master will overpower an old slave and cause it to fail, similar vice versa. Also, bleeding once is easier than bleeding twice.

Bleeding a clutch couldn't be easier. Fill the master, put a hose on the slave bleed valve into a jar with a little fluid in it, crack open the bleed valve and watch until no more air bubbles come out the hose. Make sure to keep the master reservoir topped off during this process. Done. It's called gravity bleeding.

Thank you a lot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom