clutch sensitivity and air conditioning (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey i've just recently picked up a pretty mint JDM 1988 BJ74. I'm just getting to know it and overall its been amazing but it seems there are a few quirks that i'd like to figure out.

The most recent thing i've noticed has to do with the clutch. It engages fine everytime- it's not slipping but it feels kinda stiff, that is, its a bit harder to depress that you might think. The wierd thing is, is that when i turn on the air conditioning the clutch softens up and feels super nice, soft and easy to depress. Turn the air conditioning off , and it stiffens up again.

I'm not super mechanically versed when it comes to vehicles, but i do know some basic things, and i'm on a mission to learn more. It just seems strange to me that the air conditioning would effect the sensitivity of the clutch??

If anyone has any thoughts or can shed some light on to this that would be great!

Thanks in advance,

Gaetan

Hi Gaetan,

When you turn on the air conditioning the a/c idle up kicks in - so when your idle goes up there is more vacuum being produced by the vacuum pump. The clutch is vacuum assist - so the more vacuum the better.

The idle might be set a little low - what is the rpm when the truck is idling - without the a/c on? If it is low you can just turn up the hand throttle until the rpm comes up a little bit - then adjust the idle according to the manual when you have time.

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom