Clutch replacement 350 4 speed with Downey Bell housing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Is that the correct clutch pushrod for that fork?

Post # 41, second pic. I think that's the pushrod you use with the fork with a hole on the end...

Last edited:
PS here is how I modified the stock Downey bracket to get everything lined up as well as I could.

1. I countersunk the rear bolt hole to gain more clearance to point the slave inward. The countersunk bolt sits flush with the bracket and doesn’t impede adjustment.

View attachment 2014740

2. Fabbed up a new spring retainer to get the distance right and hold the spring off the slave. Took a couple of attempts to get the lower home in the right spot (to not over-stretch the spring but maintain appropriate tension at rest).

3. I also used longer mounting bolts and spacers to locate it vertically, to keep the slave rod pointer as straight at the fork as I could.

By the way I wasn’t quite done in these pictures, I ended up cocking the bracket out further to clear the slave boot.

View attachment 2014739

View attachment 2014741

View attachment 2014742
Your pushrod is a lot shorter than the other one. Did you shorten it? He has his mounted a lot further back than you do. Is it better to have a shorter pushrod with the slave cylinder mounted closer to the fork? I am about to make my bracket and I am trying to figure out measurements and angles. Thanks.

Your pushrod is a lot shorter than the other one. Did you shorten it? He has his mounted a lot further back than you do. Is it better to have a shorter pushrod with the slave cylinder mounted closer to the fork? I am about to make my bracket and I am trying to figure out measurements and angles. Thanks.

spot on - I made my own push rod. Took some steel bar stock, threaded one end, and ground a blunt point on the other. I cut it a little long and then trimmed the non-threaded end to a length I liked where it was close to adjusted, before I ground the point on it - Then used the OEM pushrod nuts.

@SC Forester - I think in the long run I very well may have been able to use an OEM rod. The details are a little blurry since it was years ago but I remember misunderstanding the adjustment up front or thinking the throw out bearing should have been moving farther away from the pressure plate than it was so I did a lot of “experimenting” with push rods and ended up almost too short. It has been working fine for a few years and several multi day wheeling trips though so I must have done something right!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom