Clutch: Remove Bell Housing? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First time doing a clutch and I've hit a bit of a wall. The service manual isn't too clear about what to do after the cross member has been removed and the transmission is jacked up....

This thread How to change a clutch step by step with pictures + descriptions says, "17. Unbolt the cover under the bell housing (5 bolts)". Looks like my cover only has two bolts. Then it says to remove the four bolts that hold the transmission on.

I've read a few older threads, but I can't seem to find a clear answer on whether or not I need to remove the bell housing before I remove the tranny. Can I pull the tranny first, then remove the bell housing to get at the clutch?

Thanks.

I think you're reading from an FJ manual and you have a BJ. they are different in how they come apart.
never having done a BJ, I believe you need to remove the bellhousing with the trans as 1 piece.

You need to remove the transmission before the clutch can come out . You need to remove the clutch and flywheel before you remove the bell housing . You do not need to remove the bell housing to replace the clutch .

x2 do not remove the bell housing. The tranny and t-case are very heavy. how do you plan on dropping it? I remove the tranny inspection cover in cab and put a cherry picker through the door opening. It is also possible to disconnect exhaust, motor mounts and radiator to cheat your engine forward via a cherry picker 12 inches to get a clutch in but I prefer the first way. I hope you are in a garage because holly *** does it rain alot in tuffino.

Its pretty straight forward if you have ever changed a clutch on any rear wheel drive vehicle. Its all the same.

Thanks for the reply. That's good news about the bell housing. Right now I've got the tcase supported on a jack stand. My plan is to put a floor jack under the transmission, jack it up and pull it out with a buddy. I'm going to rest the tranny/tcase on the jack and two jack stands. Bad idea?

Still a little unclear about how the clutch and fly wheel come out with the bell housing still in place, but I'll keep going and hopefully I'll figure it out...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom