Clutch recommendations for 1HD-T (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,

this is my first post in the diesel section.
My recently acquired HDJ80 has a clutch that is slipping in 4th and 5th gear when I press the far right skinny pedal too hard. It's definitely still drive-able, but I hate having things not function 100% the way they should.
My HDJ80 came from Europe and those allegedly came with the 275mm fly wheel. I can't use earlier clutches such as from the 1HZ because those are a different spline as is the shaft length as I understand it.
Boost is currently around 15-20 psi. I suspect the boost gauge is inaccurate since it reads around .5 bar at idle, but never exceeds 1.6 bar under load.
Aisin replacement is a no-go because it most likely won't hold the power even with a new pressure plate and clutch.

I'm having a hard time narrowing down a replacement clutch, but so far what I got is this:

Terrain Tamer Heavy Duty TTCK8912HP Europe Spec. 995 msrp +180 USD for shipping
Xtreme Outback stage 1 KTY28032-1A 483.47 + 103 USD shipping
Custom setup from SpecClutches ~700usd

I know the Terrain Tamer one is a great option, but it's a little out of budget at the moment.
Anyone have experience with the xtreme outback? It is a stage 1 which is rated for 470nm or 350ftlbs. I think with the current boost, I am right around those torque numbers if not above it already. Currently running factory 3.73 gears from Europe and 35in mud tires.
I'm open to going with the xtreme outback stage 2 ceramic, but concerned it will effect driveability.
I have no intentions of increasing boost or power. I came from a gas/petrol 1fz with stock gearing and 35s so this hdj80 is already a race car compared to my other one.

Would it be simpler to find a 300mm flywheel, throw that in and buy a 300mm clutch and plate? Since it seems much much easier to find the 300mm clutches.
I'm mainly looking at the xtreme outback stage 1 from either OZI auto parts or euro4x4parts. Pricing is almost idtentical with the exchange rates. Shipping from EU may be quicker as I live near the Gulf in the US.
Ideally looking to place an order this week so I can receive it before the end of the month from across the pond.

Hopefully I'm not beating a dead horse. Cheers everyone

Easier to find the proper clutch. Exedy make 3-4 clutches for these depending on how you want to use it. There was a dealer selling them in the US

Easier to find the proper clutch. Exedy make 3-4 clutches for these depending on how you want to use it. There was a dealer selling them in the US
I've only been able to find 1 clutch that exedy makes that has the 275mm flywheel. Part number: TYK2267
I believe that one is a OE replacement spec one. I am unable to find one that is part of the Safari Tuff line, 14 spline and 275mm. I've looked on ExedyUSA which has nothing for my 80, ExedyAU which doesn't have the option for the HJD80L which is what I need, and ExedyUK only has the one mentioned above.
I've had good experiences in the past with exedy parts so if I could find one to suit my needs that would be awesome.

H15x transmissions for HD and FZ use 14 spline input shafts which unless I have wrong info fit only 300mm clutches.

HZ have 21 spline inputs which in Toyota only had 275mm applications except an extremely rare and long discontinued (since 1996) 300mm flywheel. It is impossible to see which one you have.

You may have to pull it apart but I would buy the 300mm stuff.

H15x transmissions for HD and FZ use 14 spline input shafts which unless I have wrong info fit only 300mm clutches.

HZ have 21 spline inputs which in Toyota only had 275mm applications except an extremely rare and long discontinued (since 1996) 300mm flywheel. It is impossible to see which one you have.

You may have to pull it apart but I would buy the 300mm stuff.

I think the 275mm flywheels were specific to European models. That’s why I’m having a hell of time sourcing a good aftermarket one. May just have to pull it apart to be sure, but I hate down time :(

C375D39B-4C5D-4DB2-89BD-7BB89FA09D45.png

F5B48714-F65E-4106-8E88-568478180967.png

1615942877827.png

Ok, I'm wrong about that market uses the 17010 flywheel. - but the disk is not an hz which is 31250-60220

Standard 300mm I would go with over the 275mm

the trick is the flywheel.

Last edited:
View attachment 2616474

Ok, I'm wrong about that market uses the 17010 flywheel. - but the disk is not an hz which is 31250-60220

Standard 300mm I would go with over the 275mm

the trick is the flywheel.
So just to clarify, my options are to find a standard 300mm flywheel and use the normal clutch found in most markets OR stick with the current euro flywheel and find a 275mm clutch kit?

I would suggest to give NPC a call (in Australia). They seem to be the go-to clutch for any modified Landcruiser, and I have never heard a bad thing about them (great clutch ‘feel’ no slip etc...)
No affiliation / connection with them - not a customer either - yet...

My HDJ80 from England had a 275mm clutch and flywheel. I upgraded to the 300mm by buying a new flywheel from Partsouq and the terrain tamer clutch.

You will absolutely want the 300mm set up on anything at all boosted over stock and likely even in stock form on the turbo trucks. 275mm should really only be on NA HZ motors IMO.

Cheers.

Edit:
13405-17020 Flywheel
90250-10192 Alignment pins
90105-12169 Bolts

I paid $550 including shipping from Dubai to East Coast US for flywheel set up only.

My HDJ80 from England had a 275mm clutch and flywheel. I upgraded to the 300mm by buying a new flywheel from Partsouq and the terrain tamer clutch.

You will absolutely want the 300mm set up on anything at all boosted over stock and likely even in stock form on the turbo trucks. 275mm should really only be on NA HZ motors IMO.

Cheers.
Did you have to tap, drill, etc anything or did the 300mm flywheel just bolt right up?

Bolts/slides right in. 300mm was the standard 1HDT flywheel on all JDM and Aussie models. Only Europe got the little one for some reason.

You can modify the 275mm flywheel to work with the 300mm clutch. But there's some drilling, taping, and machining involved IIRC.

You'll want to grab a Pilot Bearing as well. The TT clutch kit came with the Throw-Out bearing set. Not sure about other kits.

Bolts/slides right in. 300mm was the standard 1HDT flywheel on all JDM and Aussie models. Only Europe got the little one for some reason.

You can modify the 275mm flywheel to work with the 300mm clutch. But there's some drilling, taping, and machining involved IIRC.

You'll want to grab a Pilot Bearing as well. The TT clutch kit came with the Throw-Out bearing set. Not sure about other kits.
Okay, I appreciate all the help. Terrain Tamer does make one for the euro spec 1hd-t trucks. It'll probably save me a lot of trouble in the future just buying the standard size flywheel. It's a pita to source a nice aftermarket one that isn't too expensive for the euro market trucks. Who did you buy from to to get the TT clutch set? Thanks for the parts numbers as well.

I got the TT flywheel from Cruiser Brothers. I got a 12v starter from them at the same time to jump start my 24v to 12v conversion.

If you have access to a good machine shop locally, it's not impossible to get the 275mm flywheel set up correctly. Somewhere out there there's instructions on what needs to be done. I did the research but since I went the other route I didn't keep that research.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom