clutch question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.barryhause.com
Further display of rookie ignorance about to happen:

I have searched this but haven't found exactly what I'm looking for.

Can someone explain the phenomenon of clutch chatter? When I engage the clutch I get sort of a shaking vibration for a few seconds then it engages and runs normally. I assume this is "chatter". Correct me if wrong.

I have replaced both master and release cylinders and adjusted everything according to FSM specs: Pedal height, play, push-rod at the fork. Clutch pedal is nice and tight now but I'm still getting chatter.

How important are worn engine mounts to this issue? What is the relationship between oil leakage and clutch chatter? Assuming it continues to shift normally, is this something I should be concerned about?

bh

Barry,
All your external work, adjusting & bleeding hydraulics has little to do w/ chatter. It's a problem w/ a clutch disc, pressure plate and flywheel that are not perfectly smooth and parallel. you can minimize it by minimizing the amount of time the clutch is slipping. IOW, try to get yer foot off the clutch pedal quickly when engagin a gear.

It can be exacerbated by oil leaking onto the clutch, and/or a broken motor mount, but ultimately it is an internal clutch problem. You can be concerned about it and do the repairs now (new disc, reman PP, machined flywheel, new clutch bearings, oil seal) OR you can drive it w/ a little chatter for 100000 miles and change the clutch when it wears out.

I can't claim any expertise, but from experience with an old FJ40, I had exactly those symptoms prior to the rear U-joint failing. Release the clutch, get a bit of shudder or heavy vibration, then it smooths out. Easy enough to check before you pull your trans to check the friction plate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom