Clutch problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently replaced both my clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder. I’ve driven about 100 miles on the setup without issues so far until today.

Noticed the clutch pedal seeming close to the floor compared to the brake pedal and as I was driving it was staying further down in the travel. It finally got to the point where the clutch only seemed partially engaged and I barely nursed it home being very lite on the throttle and shifting carefully. Opened the hood and the master cylinder reservoir seems overfilled like fluid is backing up. It was only to the “full” line previously. Other than that, visually I couldn’t see anything that seems out of sorts.

Is my clutch finally biting the dust or do I have a bad master or slave cylinder? Any ideas on what I can do to troubleshoot before diving into the clutch itself?

Your expertise is much appreciated.

5EAD7704-71A0-4DE5-B557-5FA2FD8A3CF8.jpeg

A4CFB006-D545-4AFD-B98B-FEE756CB9266.jpeg

A8627418-EC3A-4EAE-A803-D5EB27986326.jpeg

Is your slave pushrod adjustment tight: the nut tight so it can’t turn by hand independent of the pushrod?
I don’t see a return spring on the slave either?

Are there return springs on the pedal and slave cylinder?

Return springs are on there and the nuts are tight. It was operating just fine until today, which is why it’s a bit of a mystery.

Edit: the clutch pedal won’t return up even when pulling it upwards.

Last edited:
That is odd. Sounds like a hydraulics problem, not a clutch problem. What happens if you loosen the bleed screw on the slave? Does fluid drain?

Checkout the push rod. My guess is the masters pushrod loosened up and is out of adjustment. Be sure there's a return spring on the throw out bearing fork and the t/o bearing is not riding on the pressure plate at rest. #3 adjustment is not when you feel pressure, it's when the slave starts moving.
20220711_211038.jpg

That is odd. Sounds like a hydraulics problem, not a clutch problem. What happens if you loosen the bleed screw on the slave? Does fluid drain?
That’s my thought at the moment as well. Fluid did drain but not much and there is still pressure in the pedal and the reservoir is still completely full. It’s as if the fluid is stuck and the clutch is partially engaged.

Release the slaves bleeder and see if the rod retracts. If it does start adjusting per the fsm. There should be free play at clutch adjustment rod with the s/c piston fully retracted and return spring on.

As said above with releasing the pressure. That’s where I was going with the slave pushrod. Fluid excess in the master had to come from somewhere: likely out of the slave cylinder.

So, it looks like I may just be dumb on this one. Rechecked the jam nuts on the rod from the master to pedal. Noticed that it was tight but only because it had threaded itself all the way down. I readjusted and re-bled the system and it appears to be working again.

Curious how much life I took off the clutch nursing it home yesterday… oooff.

Hopefully this can serve as a warning for others as so many threads on mud have been for me.

Going to drive it around a bit today and will report back if the issue reappears. Thanks to all that replied and put in their $.02.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom