Clutch Problem-Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I looked in the FAQ this morning but didn't see anything on this...I had been getting a chattering noise in my 3 finger clutch that would only go away when I stepped on the pedal. I traced it to the release bearing being held tight against the fingers so I backed the adjustment out on the slave cyl. push rod. It didn't help, then a few days later I pushed in the pedal to take off and threw the piston right out of the slave cylinder. Got a new cylinder and put together and bled it last night but now it seems like the rod is too short even when adjusted all the way out to the last thread on the rod.

Back to the chattering, and my question- problem...with the clutch at rest should there be any movement in the three levers? The chattering doesn't sound normal, so I'm hoping I don't need another clutch. One lever has slight movement, the other two move back and forth about 1/4 inch. Are they broken? BTW this was a rebuilt I got new and has around 3000 miles on it, none off road, no abuse, pulling, racing, etc. I noticed when I got it the three adjustment bolts that contact the release bearing surface were welded in place. The rebuilder is in Indiana, I bought the clutch assembly on like.

It's a 1974 FJ40, 1975 2f, early flywheel, 3 finger clutch and four speed.

Any info on this would be appreciated.

I just swapped my clutch out not too long ago. The one I swapped out (original OEM) and the new one from Downey did not have any movement in the fingers. It may be time for a new clutch, but you've probably already figured that out.

Good luck! :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom