Clutch point moving?? Dead clutch master cylinder? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So when I was in a line of cars wait for the ferry the other day I suddenly felt that the "clutch activation point" had moved quite a bit.
I could only lift my foot less than 1 inch before the truck started moving.
I got it in neutral and let the clutch go. Now everything felt normal.
I have felt the same thing a few times after. So I am guessing that the clutch master seal is leaking and the fluid is slowly being pushed back by the clutch pressure.

Now my question... I am traveling in Norway and having a hard time getting parts. Would you try and disassemble the clutch master, clean and fill in new fluid? Could I risk it getting worse?
The fluid is actually really black and (stupid me) I just didn't think to do a clutch fluid change before leaving.

It is a hzj75 from 1995 with only 33.000km.
So not much is worn but everything is old.

Hello,

It is amazing that your cylinders have lasted so long.

Sometimes, the master clutch cylinder gives up the ghost first. Sometimes the slave cylinder goes out first. And sometimes both die at the same time.

Master and slave cylinders are easy to disassemble, repair and reassemble. Purging the air is a two-person job, and a bit annoying, but that is just me.

You will need two clutch repair kits, part number 04311-60100, for both cylinders. Add a 10 mm wrench and some lithium grease. And fresh fluid.

Juan

I use a motive power brake bleeder for my brakes and clutch fluids, don't need anyone to pump the pedals, love it, really easy to use. Some folks say it is not good for the pistons to be pumped all the way, the power brake bleeder eliminates this process so hypothetically the master and slave lasts longer.
My clutch fluid gets dirty quick with city driving.

Try euro4x4 for parts in Europe.
General maintenance parts like this should be readily available. They ship worldwide out of warehouses in France and Spain. So it may take a few days.
Also have a good phone service.
Good Luck Ralf

Ok.. so parts have been ordered but will take at least a week to arrive. So today I cleaned up the master cylinder. Everything looked good but SUPER dirty..
So let's hope everything works for a few more days

20220730_105935.jpg

Also makes me think I should upgrade the clutch hoses, the ome black rubber hoses seems to contaminate the fluid quicker than my upgraded stainless braided brake hoses..they are not all that old as I replaced them.
I use clutch more than brakes unfortunately though.

Hello,

A clean up and some grease will buy time until your parts arrive.

Juan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom