clutch pedal stiffness (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

red66toy

Supporting Vendor
Threads
I was just wondering how hard should it be to push down on the clutch pedal. Other car's clutch pedals seem to only need the slightest effort to move. My pedal has always been hard to push down. The clutch works fine, I am just wondering.

It is a 40 year old truck.....it is not a celica.

It will have some resistance, even though, it is hydraulic.

Good luck!

-Steve

Might lighten it if you flush out the clutch hydraulic system and lube all the pivot points that you can find. Look under the dash for something maybe rubbing or caught by the pedal itself. Some PO might have added wiring without thinking about the pedal throw, or something.

None of the 40s I've had needed what I thought was heavy pressure for the clutch.

There is a very good chance that you still have a large-bore (1"?) early master cylinder combined with a later model, small-bore (7/8"?) slave. That combo adds up to more clutch throw and a heavier pedal. I drove mine that way for years with no ill effects except a well-sculpted left calf. Gotta love the leftovers from an uninformed PO.

When my master finally died, I went with a newer one to match the slave and it softened the pedal right up.

How can I tell if I have a later style slave cylinder?

red66toy said:
How can I tell if I have a later style slave cylinder?

I only found out when I went to rebuild mine and discovered that the kit I bought from SOR had a bigger piston than the one I was trying to rebuild. I was able to get the later, smaller rebuild kit from NAPA I think.

Sorry- I don't actually know if there's a visual difference, although I think you should be able to pull the rod and dust cover off and measure the bore. As long as you keep the piston from pushing out, you shouldn't make much of a mess and you won't have to bleed the system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom