clutch not engaging.... and its probably not the hydraulics... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1969 FJ40
1.5F engine
Original 3 speed (3 on the tree) gear box.
98,000 miles ( or 198,000 miles, its hard to tell)

So my '69 FJ is parked in the garage currently. Last time it drove i noticed some difficulty shifting, a little more grinding between gears than normal. by the time i got it home, i wasnt able to shift with the engine running. I am able to shift through all the gears when the engine is off though.

My first thought was my master or slave cylinder. After replacing both cylinders and the hydraulic line there is no improvement. I can see the clutch fork moving when the pedal is depressed, but the gears still grind horribly when the engine is running. Currently its impossible to shift into any gear when idling. Did I blow something up? throwout / pilot bearing?

Im seeking help diagnosing this issue before i have to bring the gearbox out of the truck. if I can repair it reasonably, i will. If not ill look into replacing my 3 speed with a 4 speed, or possibly something with overdrive.

thanks,

-P

Have you adjusted the slave cylinder push rod to factory specs?

You could REALLY benefit from getting hold of a Factory Service Manual (FSM) that explains the whole process of clutch/pressure plate/ TO bearing, etc. and slave cylinder push rod adjustment in detail. They are readily available here on 'Mud in pdf format. :cheers:

I kept the pushrod the same length from the previous slave cylinder. can i do any damage to the throwout by maxing out the slave pushrod length?

I'll use the search and try to find the FSM.
Thanks.

I kept the pushrod the same length from the previous slave cylinder. can i do any damage to the throwout by maxing out the slave pushrod length?

I'll use the search and try to find the FSM.
Thanks.

From the early manual:

Note, the manual gives instruction on adjusting the pedal-to-clutch cylinder clevis and the slave cylinder-to-fork free play.

It's first on this list, and the easiest to accomplish.
upload_2017-7-20_19-53-16.png

If you mis-match the master cylinder and slave cylinder, it will either: (a) have a very stiff pedal that wants to provide twice the travel needed, or (b) very soft pedal that only provides half the travel needed.

I'm going to adjust these petals and rods to make sure I'm getting maximum deflection on the clutch fork.

I will return something this weekend with results.

I just repaired a truck last week with the same symptoms and it ended up being a broken release fork ,it looked fine but upon further inspection it was cracked in the middle so pull the cover and give a peak . I've never seen this before but there it was.

Thanks TC. I'll give her a peak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom