clutch no worky (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TxCruzr

Wait, this ain't Texas...
Threads
Website
www.webphotos.com
Just started having problems with the clutch. At first it was just every now and then and I could pump it a few times and it would come back but now it seems to be more often. At times it acts normal and then others it goes to the floor like theres nothing connected to the other side of the pedal. It is full of fluid and is not leaking. Someone said to bleed it but It has been fine with no leaking so how would air get into the system after over a year. Would the throwout bearing going out cause this?:confused:

Sounds like you need to bleed the system, unless there's other indications of a clutch problem i.e. slipping, squealing etc.. If you don't have any of these problems I would bleed it.

have someone pump the pedal and someone (you) go down and see if the slave pushrod is moving, if its moving at all, or far enough. thats not your problem. if it is functioning then look past that to other points. you'd also be better off buying a slave, then rebuilding one there had been to many instances where people rebuild them on they just fail again. just cause it isn't leaking doesn't mean the seals aren't bad inside either the clutch master or slave and the fluid is just getting by them and nothing is happening.

take that and go from there... good luck

My 71 was doing the same thing. It ended up being the slave cylinder, which is pretty much cake to change out. If bleeding doesn't work, check the internals of the slave cylinder or have someone listen for a "sucking" sound, for lack of better term, around the slave cylinder. Good luck!

Sounds like you indeed have air entering the system... also check your firewall inside for fluid you may be forcing fluid out the back of the master. Replace both your master and slave at the same time if you can find them pretty handily (noticed you have a 69 FJ) These parts are so cheap like 19 for the slave and 35 for the master for later models. Never again will I replace a customer's or my own clutch slave or clutch master indepently. It never fails that w/n a month the pressure from one blows out the other. my2p

Good luck

TXCruzr, did yours grind when you try to shift gear?? I have '68 and have similar prob. no leaks but won't shift. It grinds everytime I try to shift to any gear. I had to shift it in before I start the engine.:crybaby: :crybaby: :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom